DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aluminum vs. steel trailer rims
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum vs. steel trailer rims
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I'm considering going from a steel trailer rim to an aluminum rim. Will my current wheel stud length be long enough to accommodate the thicker aluminum rim?

Posts: 42 | Location: East Coast | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Since you can't order different length studs for your replacement trailer brakes, I would say yes they will fit.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Changed without issues on my Vintage trailer. I bought the aluminum wheels from Vintage when I did the change. Also, make sure to get lug nuts with the aluminum wheels and you will not have issues. Troy told me the lugs nuts don't match up right going from steel to aluminum.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
Changed without issues on my Vintage trailer. I bought the aluminum wheels from Vintage when I did the change. Also, make sure to get lug nuts with the aluminum wheels and you will not have issues. Troy told me the lugs nuts don't match up right going from steel to aluminum.

Thanks,
I believe there must be a special lug nut that is used with the aluminum trailer rims, almost like the nuts used on front or rear drag rims using stock size studs. The studs would almost have to have some kind of recessed shoulder or something.

Posts: 42 | Location: East Coast | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
lug nut steel wheel

lug nut aluminum wheel

https://trailerparts.com/

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post