DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Diesel motor valve lash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesel motor valve lash
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of LoneWolf
posted
2006 Dodge 3500, valves have not been adjusted and heard the other day they should be adjusted at 150K miles, I have 190K on it now. Should I take it in to be done or leave it alone. Not having any issues now that I am aware of. Thanks

Posts: 399 | Location: Laurel Hill, Fl USA | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have 325,000 miles on my 12valve and the only time I've had the valve covers off is when I advanced the timing 4*
I did run through the valves at that time and they needed nothing. I also re-torqued the head just for the he11 of it...
Cummins have a massive roller cam and lifters that live well under 3000rpm with about 60-70lbs of spring pressure so their pretty trouble free.
BUT, it certain can't hurt to pop the covers off and check everything just so you don't feel guilty about neglecting these old work horses...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4453 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
Yes adjust them...if you can adjust the valves on you race car, you can do those. It's easy except for #6...most people say they run better after a valve adjustment.

Posts: 51 | Location: Rifle Colorado | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
The Cummins will use a two position adjustment procedure. There's a removable cap on the front cover that exposes the fuel pump drive gear. One adjustment is with the timing mark straight up, lined up with the mark on the front cover. Second adjustment is with the mark 180* straight down, lines up with the mark on the cover at the bottom. Won't hurt to check them, and will likely need a tweak, but won't be much. They don't come out of adjustment easily or often. I've seen them run 200k+ and the valves still be at the factory adjustment.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post