DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Windows 10 / Computech + GRID
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 / Computech + GRID
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking at upgrading to a windows 10 computer for the trailer. A Micro-desktop, at that (Dell Optiplex 7010, i5-3470). Current computer is a Latitude 6500 from 2008 (Core2Duo 8600).

Are there any known issues with Crew Chief Pro, Computech Weather, RPM Performance (Data Logger), or GRID?

I like to hang back a couple years and let drivers and such sort themselves out. 10's been out long enough I'm slowly warming up to it.

I've run out of USB ports on the laptop in the trailer now. GRID and Computech don't like to share a hub, and I've had to reboot on multiple occasions for the computer to see the GRID after closing computech and playing musical cables. Although some of that might be the 30 feet of USB cable from the trailer to the car, too.

My personal laptop gives me a digital signature error if I open GRID after having used Photoshop CS5. That one doesn't make sense to me.

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I can confirm that RPM Performance software, Crew Chief Pro, and the Grid software work fine with windows 10. Not definite about Computech but it should work.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I can confirm that RPM Performance software, Crew Chief Pro, and the Grid software work fine with windows 10. Not definite about Computech but it should work.

Thanks. I assumed they would since it has been a few years. I saw alot of threads when 10 first came out that GRID was splotchy with it and it was luck of the draw. I know the core kernel didn't really change from 7-8-8.1-10 but pretty much everything around it did.

I'm a Mac person but deal with 7/8/8.1/10 at work and I'm slowly getting used to the idiosyncrasies.

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
MSDView4 for 7730 Grid (and others) will also run properly in Windows XP. Just need to have SP3 and .Net Framework 4 installed in XP that are still available today.

Posts: 2449 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have been running my computech weather station and datamaxx all year on windows 10 without any issues.

Posts: 106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
MSDView4 for 7730 Grid (and others) will also run properly in Windows XP. Just need to have SP3 and .Net Framework 4 installed in XP that are still available today.

Thanks. I retired my last XP machine last year. Poor thing had a rough life of 14 years of continual service.

quote:
Originally posted by Camaro80z:
I have been running my computech weather station and datamaxx all year on windows 10 without any issues.

Thanks. Do you run into any issues trying to access the GRID or a datalogger while Computech weather is open? Ours is RaceAir Cloud.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My data logger is from computech as well and has actually been much more stable when i switched to Windows 10. I can leave it open all day (the weather and data logger software) and not have it disconnect.

Posts: 106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camaro80z:
My data logger is from computech as well and has actually been much more stable when i switched to Windows 10. I can leave it open all day (the weather and data logger software) and not have it disconnect.

Yea, that's also my hope with using a desktop instead of a laptop, I can put the weather station on the USB2.0 host and the GRID on the USB3.0 host with data logger on the native serial port, and be able to run the physical COM and both virtual COM simultaneously.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Quick half-update.

Updated my personal laptop to Win10 and that solved the digital signature issue I had.

Using onboard USB2.0 host for weather station and external USB3.0 host for GRID worked fine as long as GRID was opened second.

Using onboard USB2.0 host for GRID and external USB3.0 host for RPM Data logger worked as long as GRID was opened second.

So it seems to me that GRID takes over all "available" COM ports when it is opened. Even if I opened GRID but was not plugged into the box, neither Weather or RPM would work.

Fortunately I'll never need to be connected to RPM and GRID at the same time. At least now I'll be able to leave Weather open in the background and cycle between GRID and RPM as needed. Previously, I had to close weather to free up the USB host for COM port use, but that laptop only has one USB2.0 host controller for all ports.

(Assuming the new desktop behaves same as my laptop)

>> Side note. After imaging my personal laptop to Win10 with an SSD instead of Win7/spinner, it's like a whole new computer (also changed from 4GB to 16GB of RAM). I had Sony Vegas 14.0, Pro-Engineer CAD, and Photoshop CS5 all rendering at once on battery-only and was only at 85% CPU utilization and 60% RAM utilization. I couldn't even have 2 of the 3 open before without it going molasses-like on AC.

Maybe i should have done this sooner.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Just a side note: If by chance you have an issue with the OS of 10 utilizing processes, open task manager and look at Cortana. It has been a problem. BIG Problem.. Research Cortana issues/problems.. Win 10. I have a Reg tweak in all of mine. But that's me.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Just a side note: If by chance you have an issue with the OS of 10 utilizing processes, open task manager and look at Cortana. It has been a problem. BIG Problem.. Research Cortana issues/problems.. Win 10. I have a Reg tweak in all of mine. But that's me.

When i installed 10, I unchecked every checkbox that relates to cortana and it's "snooping"/"learning" characteristics...

DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Since I had Windows 10 two years before it came out, ( thanks Microsoft ) Crew Chief Pro works perfectly with any version of Windows ( except 25 year old versions ).

Crew Chief Pro will also work in Windows 11.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post