Bracket Talk
mfi prime tank

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/8147083696

June 12, 2021, 04:48 PM
wideopen231
mfi prime tank
Thinking about building small tank to use for primer system.Wondering how much fuel. If I get system to point I can drive up and if need back with it that would be extreme condition, like cold engine needing heat or main tank running dry on return.

For those driving car to line on primer how much fuel are you using. Guessing will use methanol or mixture of gas and methanol in cold weather.

Figure a gallon would be more than enough and at same time rather not carry lot of extra,because hey its still weight and already learning why bracket cars are so dang heavy.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
June 13, 2021, 12:19 AM
Cashflow
I used a one gallon pro-stock cell. Worked fine!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
June 13, 2021, 05:39 AM
Curly1
Originally I had a one quart tank and the small pump that comes in some of those primer kits. It did not have enough to get past the the check valve and you must have a check valve or it will siphon fuel under full throttle messing up your mixture. Primer kit and pump was money wasted.
I eventually threw all that junk away except for the check valve. Then made my own using a Mallory Comp 110 alcohol pump and made my own metering block with 4 lines and very small nozzles. 020. I put a needle valve in line to restrict the flow to what I want.

I got rid of the separate tank and just have a tee fitting that pulls off main fuel line.

If you have your check valve going into the main metering block on mechanical injection it does not work well for several reasons. Not going to write a novel to explain why but it creates more problems than it helps. Especially if you are using gas or something other than alcohol.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
June 13, 2021, 08:22 AM
Dave Koehler
https://www.koehlerinjection.c...n-primer_System.html

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.
June 13, 2021, 08:45 AM
Cashflow
I used the primer plus on gas and a nitrous solenoid with my Rons system. It was great.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
June 13, 2021, 09:43 AM
Alaskaracer
I bought the primer plus from Ron's as well, and it worked once. Was trying to get it set right but it was flooding the engine. Went to try again, pump died....So for now I've pulled it off the car except for the plates, just put caps on those. I have the one quart and the gallon tank. When it was working, the one quart would empty in just a couple of minutes, but I didn't have it tuned well. Going to get another pump and try it again, but have three races coming up without much time in between so it can wait until after. Car starts pretty easy just needs a bit of cranking first....

I was using pump gas by the way....

I originally set my nitrous system up as a primer too. Hooked a push button to the relay and used the fuel pump and fuel solenoid as my primer. Worked good too, but had to play like nitrous was on. Arm system, foot to the floor to activate wot switch, then hit the prime button.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
June 13, 2021, 03:25 PM
wideopen231
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Originally I had a one quart tank and the small pump that comes in some of those primer kits. It did not have enough to get past the the check valve and you must have a check valve or it will siphon fuel under full throttle messing up your mixture. Primer kit and pump was money wasted.
I eventually threw all that junk away except for the check valve. Then made my own using a Mallory Comp 110 alcohol pump and made my own metering block with 4 lines and very small nozzles. 020. I put a needle valve in line to restrict the flow to what I want.

I got rid of the separate tank and just have a tee fitting that pulls off main fuel line.

If you have your check valve going into the main metering block on mechanical injection it does not work well for several reasons. Not going to write a novel to explain why but it creates more problems than it helps. Especially if you are using gas or something other than alcohol.

First not mess up tune car will not shut down right. I use fuel shut off religiously. I am set up to pull off main line about 2 feet ahead of pump. Not using block just a spray bar in injector with jet at inlet. I use nozzle jets so I can tune in .001 increments if need. Primer is completely separate system. I can also use it as cooling system if need and running alky in it, which I will most of the time. Had to seperate since all of the o-rings in system work with alky and nitro,but not gas.

June 13, 2021, 04:23 PM
David Covey
Chris,

I have a little 2 psi pump pulling fuel from the inlet to my enderle pump. outlet goes through a check valve to the distribution block to the top of the blower.
Never have to check for fuel in a separate tank. Gotta use a check valve though or the enderle will push fuel back through the little pump.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell
June 13, 2021, 05:15 PM
Stephen Hughes
I built a tank that holds about 3/4 gallon. I drive to the lanes on gas, every startup pulling up in the lanes is on gas. I switch to alky when I fire up to roll in the water box, bout 1/2 way back to the trailer switch back to gas. 3/4 has been plenty unless it was really cool out and needed a little extra warmup. In that case i just drive all the way back to trailer after the run on alky. I wouldnt run injection any other way.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!
June 13, 2021, 05:36 PM
SCDIV1
I made my own primer tank even though Racetech sells one.
Sits behind the drivers seat on right side.
Holds over a gallon and is still in my car even though I don’t use it anymore.

Drove up on gas primer, drove back on injection.
Ron’s Terminator.

Was the best fuel system. Built heat easily, didn’t burn a ton of alcohol and used cheap fuel in the primer most of the time.

Some flat aluminum and a few pieces from Chassis Shop to make the filler neck and a screw on cap.

I made a cardboard mock-up for trial fit.

Couldn’t care less about added weight and could go multiple runs without adding fuel
June 13, 2021, 06:25 PM
wideopen231
If I switch to separate tank it will be one I build, imagine that. I have a small aluminum filler bung with cap I ordered by mistake that needs a job anyway.

My spray bar deal seems to work fine. I just spray fuel to top of hat and let the air mix with it. I have 4 holes each above a set of ports. I can jet the system in few seconds swapping out nozzle. Using little electric pump. Right now Tee d into main and return. Feeds threw a solenoid thats open when pump is on. Solenoid is air and using electric over air to control it. Would like to fid cheap solenoid thats is electric and alky compatible. One less thing to go wrong that way. If something goes wrong with system it will not efect running the car.

Reason I would like to be able to drive up on primer is building heat and if running a load in tank it would be he11 of lot cheaper.even 20% mixture gets expensive.

June 13, 2021, 06:28 PM
wideopen231
Question
anyone running gas and alky threw system and switching back and forth to match need.Like build heat or not depending on conditions? If so what about jetting from gas to alky? SWAG and go about 40 to 50% leaner on gas?

June 13, 2021, 07:01 PM
Dave Koehler
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Question
anyone running gas and alky threw system and switching back and forth to match need.Like build heat or not depending on conditions? If so what about jetting from gas to alky? SWAG and go about 40 to 50% leaner on gas?

Good Grief. Pick one.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.
June 13, 2021, 09:51 PM
Alaskaracer
quote:
Question

Going off of what James Monroe told me about mfi, it doesn't play well with gas. Narrow tuning window on gas compared to alky is one of the issues. It's not as simple as just leaning it out....I do know Enderle sells mfi setups calibrated for gas, but I don't know how well they work.....for what it's worth, on gas I'd run a carb or EFI....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
June 14, 2021, 08:57 AM
Curly1
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Question

Going off of what James Monroe told me about mfi, it doesn't play well with gas. Narrow tuning window on gas compared to alky is one of the issues. It's not as simple as just leaning it out....I do know Enderle sells mfi setups calibrated for gas, but I don't know how well they work.....for what it's worth, on gas I'd run a carb or EFI....

You are absolutely right. Been there done that.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
June 15, 2021, 06:22 AM
wideopen231
did not mean run both at same time guys. I meant if I want to run gas because its cool out and I need extra heat for motor, like after sitting long period in staging and temp drops. Not something I care to do often, but if needed I would like option of setting car up with quick jet change and dump some gas in primer tank. Heck can't think of reason to try to mix the two and run. If you are going to mix alky with something its not gas and cost heck of lot more.