DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    NHRA rules and interpretation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA rules and interpretation
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
I figured I'd post this on here since it might be good information for some. When I had my car tech'd at the track for the season this year, I was told that not only could nothing be mounted to the deflector plate above the shoulder hoop, but nothing can be mounted above the shoulder hoop at all. In my car, it's configuration hasn't changed since I got it, other than replacing older parts with newer stuff. The radiator was mounted along the top edge via brackets, to the deflector plate, above the shoulder hoop. My oil separator and catch can were mounted above the shoulder hoop to the radiator, and my ignition coil is also mounted above the shoulder hoop, also to the radiator. Just no where else to put it. They gave me my sticker but said I'd have to change it and it may be an issue if I run the divisional/national like that. So to correct the issue, I removed the bracket at the top of my radiator and built new ones that attached to the deflector, but below the shoulder hoop, which was apparently legal by the rules. I also removed the oil separator and catch can, and made a new mount for the catch can to move it lower. Problem is, I don't have anywhere else to mount the coil..

So, I looked up the rule, and read it. This is the text of the rule:

general regulations, section 21, page 19. Rule 4:3, Deflector plate. The last sentence of this rule reads as follows:

"Absolutely no components may be mounted to the helmet shroud or deflector plate above the top of the shoulder hoop."

Nowhere does it say nothing can be mounted above the shoulder hoop, only that it cannot be mounted to the deflector plate above the shoulder hoop. I was being told that nothing at all can be above the shoulder hoop, even if it's not mounted to the deflector plate. So I emailed Bob Blackwell, Tech Director for Division 5. Bob said I was correct, that it can't be mounted to the deflector above the shoulder hoop, but things can be above the shoulder hoop as long as they are not mounted to it.

So next time I'm at the track, I'm going to talk to tech and clarify this so it's not an issue again. Another racer here also was told the same thing, and was PISSED because he had to completely redo a bunch of stuff at the front of the engine. He did have a couple of things mounted to the deflector which he moved, but had other things mounted above the shoulder hoop that were not, and was told to move them or no tech.....

Just an FYI, I do my best to conform to the rules by both the track and the NHRA so it's never an issue, but from time to time, you have to do your homework, and sometimes you're wrong, and sometimes the track is wrong. This is one of those times they are wrong and I'm going to address it with them. I've fixed my issue so it's correct now, and I'll take the car back to tech to show them it's fixed. But they need to correct what they are telling racers as well.......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
It's always best to know the rulebook so you can point out their mistake or misinterpretations if need be.

I have had a few battles over the years at different tracks. Seatbelt mounting, window net re-certs, fuel lines, wheel studs, deflector plates, etc.

The more you know, the better you are to argue your case.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was at a track this past weekend with my wagon that has the fuel cell in a box and I was told I need to have a floor to ceiling divider next time I come back Laughing Hard

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
I was at a track this past weekend with my wagon that has the fuel cell in a box and I was told I need to have a floor to ceiling divider next time I come back Laughing Hard

Didn't think of that

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
"Interpretation"
HUGE word, and unfortunately we are all at the mercy of the guy blessing our vehicles for competition wherever you are.
Many really hate being educated by a racer, choose your words carefully when a discrepency is perceived.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:

Rules dictate that the fuel cell be completely isolated from the drivers compartment. I guess it depends on the design of the box it is in to comply.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I figured I'd post this on here since it might be good information for some. When I had my car tech'd at the track for the season this year, I was told that not only could nothing be mounted to the deflector plate above the shoulder hoop, but nothing can be mounted above the shoulder hoop at all. In my car, it's configuration hasn't changed since I got it, other than replacing older parts with newer stuff. The radiator was mounted along the top edge via brackets, to the deflector plate, above the shoulder hoop. My oil separator and catch can were mounted above the shoulder hoop to the radiator, and my ignition coil is also mounted above the shoulder hoop, also to the radiator. Just no where else to put it. They gave me my sticker but said I'd have to change it and it may be an issue if I run the divisional/national like that. So to correct the issue, I removed the bracket at the top of my radiator and built new ones that attached to the deflector, but below the shoulder hoop, which was apparently legal by the rules. I also removed the oil separator and catch can, and made a new mount for the catch can to move it lower. Problem is, I don't have anywhere else to mount the coil..

So, I looked up the rule, and read it. This is the text of the rule:

general regulations, section 21, page 19. Rule 4:3, Deflector plate. The last sentence of this rule reads as follows:

"Absolutely no components may be mounted to the helmet shroud or deflector plate above the top of the shoulder hoop."

Nowhere does it say nothing can be mounted above the shoulder hoop, only that it cannot be mounted to the deflector plate above the shoulder hoop. I was being told that nothing at all can be above the shoulder hoop, even if it's not mounted to the deflector plate. So I emailed Bob Blackwell, Tech Director for Division 5. Bob said I was correct, that it can't be mounted to the deflector above the shoulder hoop, but things can be above the shoulder hoop as long as they are not mounted to it.

So next time I'm at the track, I'm going to talk to tech and clarify this so it's not an issue again. Another racer here also was told the same thing, and was PISSED because he had to completely redo a bunch of stuff at the front of the engine. He did have a couple of things mounted to the deflector which he moved, but had other things mounted above the shoulder hoop that were not, and was told to move them or no tech.....

Just an FYI, I do my best to conform to the rules by both the track and the NHRA so it's never an issue, but from time to time, you have to do your homework, and sometimes you're wrong, and sometimes the track is wrong. This is one of those times they are wrong and I'm going to address it with them. I've fixed my issue so it's correct now, and I'll take the car back to tech to show them it's fixed. But they need to correct what they are telling racers as well.......

Mark. I’m sure you had passed tech before right? I’d be mad at Tech for not pointing this out long ago.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4496 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Tech what tech? I have been to 5 divisional and 1 national this year and the only thing that has been checked is my helmet and belt dates

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Tech what tech? I have been to 5 divisional and 1 national this year and the only thing that has been checked is my helmet and belt dates

Lol yeah you are correct.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4496 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post