DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Belt drive fuel pump rear mount fuel cell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belt drive fuel pump rear mount fuel cell
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
G forces and physics. Why fight it?

There is no pump, mechanical or electric that suck worth a darn. However they all can push a lot of fuel.

Carbs are the setups that Seem to work fine. It's not IF but when with a MFI you will get burned with a front pump and a rear tank

If you run a mechanical pump and must have a rear tank at least step up and move the pump to the rear using the Waterman cable drive.
https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/cable-drives/

Maximum of 6 feet? That's not gonna make it to the rear.

I thought that odd as well knowing many long cars are using it. I looked into it.
It's a case of a poor webmaster armed with not enough info.
Here is what Aermotive told me.
The cables are a custom order.  We start off with a 6ft part # then add on whatever inches to complete your specific length.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There is no pump, mechanical or electric that suck worth a darn. However they all can push a lot of fuel.

Carbs are the setups that Seem to work fine. It's not IF but when with a MFI you will get burned with a front pump and a rear tank

If you run a mechanical pump and must have a rear tank at least step up and move the pump to the rear using the Waterman cable drive.

I thought that odd as well knowing many long cars are using it. I looked into it.
The cables are a custom order.  We start off with a 6ft part # then add on whatever inches to complete your specific length.

Thanks!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Assuming front mounted cell is impossible, cable driven rear mounted mechanical pump is best option, but a small surge tank with an electric pusher pump is a legit option. Only bad thing is you now have 2 fuel pumps to deal with.

I'd tear the car apart and put the cell up front and forget about it. Way easier than dealing with the potential problems you may run into.

I'm thinking the cable drive system may be expensive and hard to install in the back of a car. I've never messed with the cable drive systems though so that's just a guess.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
When I first went to alcohol and a belt drive pump on our Vega going 9.20s I went with the front mount cell. It ended up being a pain in the a$$ to fill with the forward opening stock hood hinges. We ended up doing an A-B-A test one day with the front and rear cell and noticed no difference. Been rear cell ever since on that car and two other door cars.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Similar to a small restrictive air filter on intake of your motor. It will make a big difference on the output.

Yes, we all SHOULD be running good air filters but they cost performance and could effect consistency. We are running good ring and piston packages with good cylinder hone then we scratch them with dirt and dust because we did not run a filter. Even the K&N type filters do not do much but they help with some of the dirt.

Most of us run bigger fuel pumps than the motor needs because we do not want to starve it.

Back to the fuel pump. It should be down below and behind to be Gravity and G-Force feed if possible. That would be perfect and the further away you get from perfect the worse it gets and more inconsistent car may be. If the pump is having to work hard to draw the fuel then PRESSURE out may be the same but VOLUME would be down. Margin of error gets smaller. Does not have to be perfect but it is important and try to get it right.

Also while we SHOULD all be running a good fuel filter if it is too small or gets dirty and restricted it will cost you a lot of performance.

If you want to get most out of it you have to get air and fuel in with as little restriction as possible.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
worked well on my regular 2-door malibu, ran 6.40's or so. Tried to run rear cell with my wagon with cell in spare tire spot like we did with electric pump and it was a no go. Had to put cell up front. I think it was more because the cell sat much lower in my wagon than the regular car.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Just to keep things clear, would those of you that are having success with a rear tank please state whether you run a carb or MFI.
Thank you

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
George Rupert set my friends car up with a front mechanical pump alky and carb.
Ran low 10’s.

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
When I first went to alcohol and a belt drive pump on our Vega going 9.20s I went with the front mount cell. It ended up being a pain in the a$$ to fill with the forward opening stock hood hinges. We ended up doing an A-B-A test one day with the front and rear cell and noticed no difference. Been rear cell ever since on that car and two other door cars.

Something to consider for future MFI cars.
Plastic tanks are produced for carb applications, are available in limited shapes and sizes and do not have the right fitting sizes for MFI.

Have your tank custom built from aluminum to fit the space available. Any local alum. welder can do this if you design it first. Cardboard templates work well.

I built one for a local racer that was really a weird shape. It went in a early vette that had the same hood and access problems as the vega mentioned. Had another one that had two tanks tied together on each side of the radiator. In the end each fit the space with proper inlets, outlets and fuel fill access.
There is always a way.

Surge tanks for MFI:
I think are useful if you are running some kind of distance or just feel you must have a 20 gal rear tank. If it's a drag car and there is room for a surge tank why not just make a front tank, lose the rear tank, lose considerable weight and be done with it?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have a customer running 4.50's/7.00 with his daily driver car and his mechanical pump is cable driven and in the rear with the cell. I want to try this setup with MFI.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
We have 4 850/hp sprint cars running MFI at 9,000 rpm's. Rear cell and cam mounted mechanical fuel pumps. Never a problem. So does everyone else.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had tank in trunk and belt driven pump in engine bay, obviously. I put a check valve in my -12 supply line and solved my problem. Check valve back close to tank

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post