DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Life of BTE 1.80 Straight Cut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life of BTE 1.80 Straight Cut
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted
Whats the avg life of one? Mine lasted only about 4 years, is this the norm?

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
a friend had to replace his set out of his 6.60 nova. I thought it was a lifetime item. He bought Sonnax to replace it and said it looks like space shuttle parts next to wright brothers parts.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I had one in my dragster for 7-8 years until other breakage caused some damage to the output shaft. I took the gears and installed them in a full length carrier and they are now working fine in my door car. I put a BTE 1.69 in my dragster and the teeth on those gears are noticeably smaller, hopefully it holds up as long as the 1.80 did.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not BTE but I got a set of TCI 1.80 that are 17 years old going mid to high 8s in a door car 1/4 mile.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
13 years and still going. Been anywhere from 5.60's to 4.90's it's whole life.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Creed:
Sonnax to replace it and said it looks like space shuttle parts next to wright brothers parts.
yup

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
I had one in my dragster for 7-8 years until other breakage caused some damage to the output shaft. I took the gears and installed them in a full length carrier and they are now working fine in my door car. I put a BTE 1.69 in my dragster and the teeth on those gears are noticeably smaller, hopefully it holds up as long as the 1.80 did.

I am afraid the 1.69 is not as strong as the 1.80 for the very reason you described. The teeth are thinner and they cannot handle as much torque. If you upgrade to a 1.65 gearset, the teeth are much thicker.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Bob, it was indeed a noticeable difference between the size of the teeth. I like the way the car works with it, so I may do just as you said and try a 1.65 next time around.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Bob, it was indeed a noticeable difference between the size of the teeth. I like the way the car works with it, so I may do just as you said and try a 1.65 next time around.

1.65 sonnax is a good piece for sure

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post