DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gas to methanol conversion
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas to methanol conversion
 Login/Join

<DOTracer>
posted
Starting to investigate changing from race gas (Q16) to either E85 or Methanol.

For this discussion let’s assume Methanol.

Can some here give me the run down of required fuel system changes, temps you run the car at, as well as between race fuel system maintenance and potential engine wear issues on Methanol?

Car has a conventional headed short deck bbc that makes 1130 hp on Q16. 5 gallon aluminum cell in the trunk with a Magnafuel 500 pump and a large 2 port regulator. #12 line from the cell to the pump, #10 line from the pump to the regulator.

Will this pump support this hp, or is a mechanical pump needed? If Mechanical, rear mounted cell ok?

Carb only, not interested in injection.

Thanks for any input.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
As someone who has only run methanol since 2000, to me that sounds like a combination that would be better left on gas.

One carb will struggle to supply enough fuel, and two carbs won't atomize the fuel very well. I'd be stunned if you are able to make the change and not lose power. Even compared to a non-Q gas.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity why would you not be interested in injection? Thinking terminator not a hat style.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
As someone who has only run methanol since 2000, to me that sounds like a combination that would be better left on gas.

One carb will struggle to supply enough fuel, and two carbs won't atomize the fuel very well. I'd be stunned if you are able to make the change and not lose power. Even compared to a non-Q gas.

Not worried about losing HP as I use an ET Genie adjustable restrictor plate to slow the car to 8.50's.

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z:
Just out of curiosity why would you not be interested in injection? Thinking terminator not a hat style.

Looking for a quick/simple bolt on conversion. Not interested in having to drill/modify the manifold for the nozzles.

DRR Trophy
Picture of strictlybiz
posted Hide Post
You will be a tenth faster on alcohol with carb and 2.5 tenth faster injection your fuel system now will handle your combo. Call nickerson performance in pa for a carb

Posts: 12 | Location: deer park | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strictlybiz:
You will be a tenth faster on alcohol with carb and 2.5 tenth faster injection your fuel system now will handle your combo. Call nickerson performance in pa for a carb

Not true in his combination, recently switched from injection (terminator) to Gas Carb in a 4.50-4.60 dragster and picked up .05 and gained mph by going to gas

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
quote:

Looking for a quick/simple bolt on conversion. Not interested in having to drill/modify the manifold for the nozzles.

If going to alcohol from your setup, none of it will be a Quick and easy bolt on in my opinion. I also would not run alcohol without a primer plus system. Alcohol is harder on parts, requires more frequent oil changes, and requires you to carry twice as much fuel with you to the track. The set up will require more work than bolt on and alcohol is in every way more work than gas is from: cranking the car, warming up the car, maintenance, etc. the only two aspects that alcohol wins in is that it is less sensitive to temperature change and that it runs cooler so it can be hot lapped much easier

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:
quote:

If going to alcohol from your setup, none of it will be a Quick and easy bolt on in my opinion. I also would not run alcohol without a primer plus system. Alcohol is harder on parts, requires more frequent oil changes, and requires you to carry twice as much fuel with you to the track. The set up will require more work than bolt on and alcohol is in every way more work than gas is from: cranking the car, warming up the car, maintenance, etc. the only two aspects that alcohol wins in is that it is less sensitive to temperature change and that it runs cooler so it can be hot lapped much easier

I change my oil every 20 runs on gas. How often does one change it on methanol?

Seems like methanol will make my between round work easier since I won’t have to waste near as much time cooking the car back down. I can let it heat soak.

I hear people say harder on parts...like what? What wears out prematurely compared to gas?

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
What is the reason you want to switch? You'll spend time warming the car up instead of cooling it down. block and oil heaters work.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
What is the reason you want to switch? You'll spend time warming the car up instead of cooling it down. block and oil heaters work.

The main reason is I’m growing tired of spending $90/5 gallons of fuel.

The secondary reason is I could then stop towing the car to the lanes (index race) and drive the car to the lanes yet still be able to control engine temps.

Pan already has an oil heater pad from the heads up class days.

<DOTracer>
posted
Well it seems that most don’t feel methanol is a good swap so maybe I need to look deeper into the E85 conversion. Spoke to Mark Sullens a couple days ago and he was quite helpful.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
DOT Go injection. You won't regret it switching to methanol. Get the set up so you can drive it and warm it up in the pits on gas then race on Methanol.. I run a prosystems set up and it works great for me, but if i had to do it again i would go injection. Simply for the dual fuel set up.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
DOT Go injection. You won't regret it switching to methanol. Get the set up so you can drive it and warm it up in the pits on gas then race on Methanol.. I run a prosystems set up and it works great for me, but if i had to do it again i would go injection. Simply for the dual fuel set up.
I don’t see how constant flow mechanical injection could work with a adjustable restrictor plate.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
I don’t see how constant flow mechanical injection could work with a adjustable restrictor plate.

I missed the part about restrictor play. Then run a carb setup. I will never go back to race gas. Pro systems was pretty much plug and play bolted the carb and regulator setup on fulled the tank and thats it. I did add a leanout valve.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
DO,

Methanol is a good race fuel and I run it successfully. However, it is not a one size fits all situation and the intended application does require consideration. The engine combination you described will require careful research and most likely will not be a simple conversion.

One suggestion, contact the folks at "get-um garage" That company is the new venture by Mike Laws [former owner of BLP] they have extensive experience with methanol carbs and will give you good guidance.

In my experience, methanol shines in the areas you mentioned;
*runs cool
*more tolerant of weather changes
*excellent consistency
*reasonable cost

In addition, some years ago when I began experimenting with methanol I quickly learned all the horror stories and old wives tales about methanol were simply not true. It is a good choice for drag racing "IF" your combination fits.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of strictlybiz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:
Originally posted by strictlybiz:

Not true in his combination, recently switched from injection (terminator) to Gas Carb in a 4.50-4.60 dragster and picked up .05 and gained mph by going to gas
then the tune up was way off

Posts: 12 | Location: deer park | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of strictlybiz
posted Hide Post
Alcohol is not harder on parts. You need to run lube in the alcohol and at the end of the day you have to fog the motor. If your tune up is right you can still change your oil every 20 runs. I'm running it almost 30 years never a issue

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Some people must really love to work on stuff. I fog the motor at the end of every SEASON, and change the oil about once per month. I don't really count passes but it is a lot more than 20!

I don't ever drain the fuel system. I do run Klotz lube in the fuel.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Some people must really love to work on stuff. I fog the motor at the end of every SEASON, and change the oil about once per month. I don't really count passes but it is a lot more than 20!

I don't ever drain the fuel system. I do run Klotz lube in the fuel.

Exactly. I go 50 runs or more on an oil change. I do have vacuum pump and get it to 200 at the end of the day. Oil always looks great.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post