DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    15” to 16” Trailer tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15” to 16” Trailer tires
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
My first GN (40') had 15" trailer tires on it I couldn't get more than 2 years on a set. My 50 foot GN came from the factory with a 16" LT tire, I upgraded to a heavier axle and tire combo because of the issues with the previous trailer. I have always replaced them with a LT tire. And I replace them at the 5 year mark. Texas heat on the highways created to much heat for a trailer tire in my experience at least in a 15" tire.

My opinion
Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Check out Trailer Toads website I believe they have some options

Or call. He knows his stuff

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
So many E rated 15" tires now days, I just buy those for my little trailers. Stacker has 16" and they are big.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. It turns out the availability of the Goodyear tires is tough. I wound up getting a tire and wheel package from Discount Tire. They had the 15" Goodyears in stock and were able to mount and balance them. Fedex will deliver them to me by Monday the latest. Anyone want a set of 4 steel rims with 3 decent tires cheap?

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^Great Choice Tony. Steel or aluminum wheels? Yes, the GY Endurance supply is low and I believe part of it is because many are switching to them.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I went steel. My old school mind says steel is stronger.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If you consistently feel the need to pull in the 70-85 MPH range, run LT tires.
Trailer tires have a low speed rating.

I'd think it would be tough to get a 16", 5-lug trailer wheel????

Most axles rated for 16" tires are 6 lug + ?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1658 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

USA GY Endurance. These are speed rated to 87 mph

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

USA GY Endurance. These are speed rated to 87 mph

Over the road truck driver friend says the Hercules steel tires are best by far, I dunno.

The other interesting thing he stated about tires and towing is, suggested pressure and speed ratings are according to weight / load.

You and I don't have weight problems.

I think the Featherlite trailers weigh 3,000 lbs, or a hair above.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just a follow up. I got the tires and rims Friday after ordering them late Monday. I highly recommend Discount Tire. They promised to deliver by Monday but they came on Friday. Great service and a fair price. I found 2 more of the old tires going bad. I guess 5 years is going to be the life of these tires. Thanks again for every ones advice.

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Barrett:
I highly recommend Discount Tire.

X2. The only tire shop that puts tires on my Company truck and trailers. With certs!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I recently had a tore **** show going down to Bristol. Had talked to several people including mechanics and touring stock/super stock racer that’s also a mechanic and all of them told me to stop using trailer tires and go with LT tires. Also gold rush and Motorsports trailers all come with Firestone transforce LT tires. I have not looked into any of the technical info on them but I took the advice of trusted guys and went from the 15” trailer tires, to 16” LT tires. We will see how they hold up.

Posts: 216 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post