DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    15” to 16” Trailer tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15” to 16” Trailer tires
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I need new tires for my 2014 Vintage 28’. It has the common 225/75/r15 load range D. I want to put 16” tires on it. I want to use Goodyear tires. It looks like the closest size is the 255/80/R16. Has anyone tried this conversion. Can anyone recommend a place to get a quality 16” steel wheel?

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check out Trailer Toads website I believe they have some options

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not understand why all of the trailer manufacturers put too light load range tires on new trailers. Put good tires on there. I went from load range D on my trailer to G? anyway they are rated at 110 PSI and have much heavier load rating. I stayed with the 15 inch wheels but more important than size is load range. Get some heavy duty enough.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I buy my tires already mounted on new wheels when I replace mine. I get them from a trailer dealer he keeps pallet loads. The tires I use are Providers you can find them and the wheels at etrailer.
I have 16's and you can tell when I park next to a trailer with 15's my trailer sits higher and it makes the ramp steep and a low car will need ramp extensions.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
buy some 16" wheels and some LT225/75R16E quality truck tires and forget about cheap a** trailer tires. Smartest thing I ever did more than 10 years ago.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
some do it but LT tires don't belong on a trailer, sidewalls aren't designed for the lateral loads trailer tires encounter.

Tony, buy the Goodyear Endurance. I'm 14,000+ lbs. going down the road, no issues. The rear tires were swapped out late last year after 3 seasons and the remaining 4 tires are 4 seasons old and will be swapped out soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Goodyear Endurance.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I had LT truck tires and I have a single rear wheel truck that I tow with. Tremendous difference in how the trailer tows with trailer tires compared to having LT tires on it. Much more stable and a lot less sway.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Adding my experience about light truck tires on a trailer. For me, doing so was a mistake. The sway was bothersome, and after a few trips, I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance load range "E" ST225x75x15. I also tried the 16" experiment, but I did not like the extra loading height.

As posted above, the flexible sidewall of LT tires is not suitable for trailers.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I must be doing something wrong then, I have had Firestone Transforce HT 225/75/16 LT on my 32 ft tag for 4 years now and they have been greaT. trailer tows smooth and no sway. I have only had to replace 1 tire and that's because I caught a curb. I can see where scrubbing the tires hard while turning sharp or backing up could damage the tire but I haven't had any problems in 4 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I put a lot of miles on my last set of 15" Goodyear marathons. I've got about 2000 miles on my new set of Goodyear endurances.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you drive your present 15” trailer tires onto a 2x6” board (measures 1.5” thick) you’ll get a good idea of how much higher you’ll be if going 16”. 16” will raise the trailer height 1.25”. You can let some air out of the tires to lower the 1/4” if needed.

Consider purchasing aluminum wheels instead of steel. They will spin more true after time compared to a steel wheel and should last the life of the trailer.

My choice for trailer tires (15” or 16”) is made in USA GY Endurance. These are speed rated to 87 mph.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Aluminum wheels are nice, just be sure to make sure you get the correct lug nuts to go with them.
My take on trailer tires, they are disposable. I buy new mounted on wheels and sell my old ones and get almost 60% of the cost of new back. Do that every few years and keep new tires and wheels on the trailer.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you are gonna go to a 16" tire use a REAL trailer tire, we have Hercules H901 ST on our 40ft goose, its a true trailer tire all steel construction. yea Ed it's not made in the US but trailer panels are not cheap to replace because of blowouts

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
call it what it is...chinese JUNK and my trailer will never be rolling on it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
They even offer it in a 15" i know a couple of guys that switched to the 901. Not one problem.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320racer and Larry Woodfin, I am also one that does not think the L/T tires belong on a trailer. I do believe that alot of people use them and are happy and thats fine with me. If I were to design a trailer and build at this point of my life I would go straight to 22.5 and never look back. But for now the Goodyear Endurance is what I have been using towing behind diesel pusher 68 to 72 mph 28 foot normal stuff in trailer and do check tire pressure.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1320racer:
some do it but LT tires don't belong on a trailer, sidewalls aren't designed for the lateral loads trailer tires encounter.[QUOTE]

BINGO

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
GOODYEAR as started making the HT tire again…..very good tire back in the day…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i have used LT tires for years on tags and 53 ft gn and not had near the problems as i had with trailer tires

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post