DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Excellent service and well not so.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excellent service and well not so.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
I have a set of Rebco (division of Longacre) Chassis scales I bought used last year. Used them one time and put them away. Well I went to use them Saturday and they would not turn on. When I bought them the guy told me battery was bad and had to use charger to use them. No problem but now it would not fire up. I left a message and Michael? called me back this afternoon. He told me no problem it has a standard Ni-Cad battery in there and Batteries Plus usually has them. He told me how to take it apart and bought new one for $11. Had to order the battery but will have it in and running on Wednesday. Excellent service and very helpful from Rebco / Longacre.

On the other hand I have had an Altronics Performaire Weather station and the battery in it has went dead. They want $175 plus shipping to change the battery and said they have to do it. Not happy. We all know that battery does not cost $10 plus labor to install it. I feel every business needs to make a profit but I feel that is a rip off and no way to do business. Rant over.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3974 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I have a set of Rebco (division of Longacre) Chassis scales I bought used last year. Used them one time and put them away. Well I went to use them Saturday and they would not turn on. When I bought them the guy told me battery was bad and had to use charger to use them. No problem but now it would not fire up. I left a message and Michael? called me back this afternoon. He told me no problem it has a standard Ni-Cad battery in there and Batteries Plus usually has them. He told me how to take it apart and bought new one for $11. Had to order the battery but will have it in and running on Wednesday. Excellent service and very helpful from Rebco / Longacre.

On the other hand I have had an Altronics Performaire Weather station and the battery in it has went dead. They want $175 plus shipping to change the battery and said they have to do it. Not happy. We all know that battery does not cost $10 plus labor to install it. I feel every business needs to make a profit but I feel that is a rip off and no way to do business. Rant over.

My old Autometer MFDL data log dash had an internal battery to save the configuration. Not sure why it wasn't saved in some sort of memory chip, guess old technology. Anyway, couple years ago at the track the dash would lose it's configuration when I turned the kill switch off.

Called Autometer and found out I had to send it back to replace the battery as it was sealed inside and soldered to the unit. $250 to replace the battery and they warned me it needed replacing every 3 to 4 years.

Glad to be rid of that expense.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I gave away my altRonics weather station years ago because of similar things.....altalab has been way better anyway

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
I gave away my altRonics weather station years ago because of similar things.....altalab has been way better anyway

I am about there and doubt I will ever buy anything from them again. I want people to make a profit to stay in business but I just do not think that is reasonable.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3974 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That's because it isn't reasonable.

When we built our house, we used Pella windows. Supposed to be a decent window. Lifetime warranty they say. So we have two fixed windows that develop a leaky seal, which is a known problem for them. Windows are free under warranty. But they have to install them in order to keep the warranty. $2k for two windows installed. A warranty profit center. My builder provided the scaffold and had it set up and ready for them. 3 hours of work for two guys.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Threw mine in the trash years ago for the same reason..

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mopar Traitor:
Threw mine in the trash years ago for the same reason..

The case does not want to open up. There is two screws in the back and it looks like it should come off but it does not. At this point I may just take a chance on breaking it and then try to find a battery that will work. What have I got to lose? I think it is a screwing to charge $175 for a $5 battery and I am not going there. The whole thing was probably made in China for $10.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
even if it's a 50 dollar battery, 175.00 is ridiculous

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Wow that’s not good, 2 years ago I sent mine in to replace battery. Cost me $110 plus shipping, worked great but then 6 months later keyboard would not let me turn off the unit. I sent it back only to get a new looking unit . keyboard and case replaced charged $65! Works great and looks new! They also did an update on program . Had it for 3 years before I sent it in the first time . I was happy with what I paid for the fix. This was 6 months old when I got it, trickle down deal! Sorry just my experience, value about 2 cents...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My experience with Altronics is very similar. Put their et prediction device back in the box years ago. Been on a shelf every since and will stay there until I or whoever cleans out my shop after I am gone throws it away.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well now I know which not to buy. Thanks for heads up.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Fred Bartoli was never known for customer service. One and done here too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I sent my handheld Altronics piece back for repair a few years ago. They said they could't repair it. I know they could have replaced the board if they wanted to. They won't get any more business from me.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Fred Bartoli was never known for customer service. One and done here too.

But he was super great to discuss things with. Razz

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Batteries can be stupid. I bought a reconditioned Ridgid drill and screw gun, 2 new batteries, and a charger for $54. If I buy one battery from Home Depot it’s $85...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I get aggravated when I make a point of dealing with a company....American made of course, and they take my money and provide what they can for a product.....and when it breaks, they want to make money off of the failure as well. If you know the battery will go bad, provide an easy way to replace it and an easy way for the consumer to order the parts. When you sour a customer on the service or repair side of things, all that goodwill that the customer gifted to you by buying your product goes out the window.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I get aggravated when I make a point of dealing with a company....American made of course, and they take my money and provide what they can for a product.....and when it breaks, they want to make money off of the failure as well. If you know the battery will go bad, provide an easy way to replace it and an easy way for the consumer to order the parts. When you sour a customer on the service or repair side of things, all that goodwill that the customer gifted to you by buying your product goes out the window.

Absolutely. It is even made in America? My guess is those are made in China for probably under $10 each under American patents. Once again I do not have a problem with a company making a profit on their design and product though it may be a little excessive. That battery lasted probably 6 years that is good. My problem is I think it is a raping to charge $175 to replace the battery.

Look at all that goes into the scales, they are heavy duty and weigh quite a bit and the profit margin on them can not be NEARLY as much as the weather station yet they did not rip me off on a battery for it.

I will be doing business with Longacre / Rebco again.

Altronics, not. I am forced to make a decision to throw away a $600 weather station or pay $175 for a $5 battery. Both choices stink.

To DOTRacer, I have the RPM data logger and it and the service from Randy there has been great. Highly recommend them and I think they are best value in a data logger. I am going to buy another one for my new car.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Absolutely. It is even made in America? My guess is those are made in China for probably under $10 each under American patents. Once again I do not have a problem with a company making a profit on their design and product though it may be a little excessive. That battery lasted probably 6 years that is good. My problem is I think it is a raping to charge $175 to replace the battery.

Look at all that goes into the scales, they are heavy duty and weigh quite a bit and the profit margin on them can not be NEARLY as much as the weather station yet they did not rip me off on a battery for it.

I will be doing business with Longacre / Rebco again.

Altronics, not. I am forced to make a decision to throw away a $600 weather station or pay $175 for a $5 battery. Both choices stink.

To DOTRacer, I have the RPM data logger and it and the service from Randy there has been great. Highly recommend them and I think they are best value in a data logger. I am going to buy another one for my new car.

My very first data logger was a RPM from Randy back in 2004 or 2005. Was good for what it was at the time, but moved on to better, more sophisticated equipment as the years went on. Hadn't seen much of his stuff in recent years. But customer service wise, he was great to deal with. But then again, Mark Ericson was great to deal with at Autometer on their data logger. They just lost me as a customer with the stupid battery for holding memory, plus the overly costly replacement.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm guessing this is the hand held unit?

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

I'm guessing this is the hand held unit?

Dave

Yes Sir.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"