DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Stainless-braided brake hoses = quicker reaction times??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless-braided brake hoses = quicker reaction times??
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
As a lark, I installed four new, stainless-steel braided brake hoses on the calipers of my S10 race truck. I was hoping to improve the brake pedal feel some, though I've heard mixed reviews about that. It may have helped me some in that regard.

I wondered though if a side benefit would be that the brakes might release quicker at the starting line, for a foot-brake racer like myself.

At the track last weekend I was red-lighting badly during test-n-tune passes. I launched at my normal spot on the tree, and I do have to 'count' the tree.

I think my brakes are in fact releasing quicker now with those new steel-braided hoses, I reckon because they would allow pressure to the calipers to drop quicker.
You don't have to wait for the rubber hoses to collapse back down first.

I realized this may sound like a lot, but I estimate that the truck's reaction time has improved by as much as .07 second or so.

If I bump into the beams a small amount, I can actually leave with the bottom bulb and get reaction times of around .05 or so.

The above may be old news for some racers, but any remarks?
Thx!

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
Unless you test on a pro tree, you will not know the actual difference, if any at all. You have to remove as much variable as possible, and reacting to the flash does that. I can tell you that there is know way it would be .070 difference.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
Unless you test on a pro tree, you will not know the actual difference, if any at all. You have to remove as much variable as possible, and reacting to the flash does that. I can tell you that there is know way it would be .070 difference.

.070 does sound like a lot. Before, if I left with the flash of the bottom bulb, I'd get an RT of somewhere between .16 and .18. Now I get about .110 if I don't anticipate the light or bump into the stage beam at all. It's hard to tell for sure outside of laboratory conditions.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
A long while back, I had those rubber brake lines start to deteriorate inside and they would act as a checkvalve and not fully release the rear brakes. It was always a pain to bleed the brakes, and I would never get a good pedal. I don't recall if it effected the reaction time as it was a long time ago. But if the old lines were in bad shape, I can see a noticeable difference, but .07 seems like a bunch.

But going to the steel braided lines yielded a better pedal feel in my car.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
While standard brake hoses are obviously hydraulic hose you can imagine some ballooning over a steel braided line with a liner. OEM use braided line near the master cylinder/ALB unit for a reason, and it's not to save money.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys