DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Separating Tunnel Ram Top from Bottom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Separating Tunnel Ram Top from Bottom
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
I have a Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram that appears to be black rtv sealed between the two halves. I didn't notice when I purchased this that the previous owner must have struggled to get the two parts apart at one time, since there appears to be a repair at a couple corners where it is bolted together. And, it's powder coated...but it can be recoated.
I tried to encourage a putty knife between the halves at a corner but it wasn't having it.
Any tricks or suggestions on getting this thing apart? I don't think I will use the top in the future. So worst case I could cut the top off and mill the remaining down to the mating surface. But I would really like to avoid that.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What about working your way around it with a razor knife? If it is bolt on motor still then I would use picker to pull up on top a little then work my way around it with a razor knife between the halves.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I was thinking razor blades next. I'm not sure I can easily insert one, as it is a pretty thin amount. It's on the bench. It's worth a try!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hang it from a hoist bolt an iron head to the bottom and get it hot. That should loosen up the glue.

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If the top of the intake has some thickness drill and tap a hole between two existing bolt holes and wind a bolt down thru .. This can work as a screw jack to lift the top from the base....

Posts: 228 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There wasn't anywhere thick enough to make a jack bolt area. And I was afraid that stressing it in one place would break wings off of it. And the rtv is pretty temp resistant. So I grabbed a hand full of razor blades and a ball peen and some safety glasses. What could go wrong? LOL.
A little patience and a few broken blades later, and it popped right apart cleanly. I just had to get brave about it. It didn't gouge anywhere either.
Thank you!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Lay it in a tub of isopropyl alcohol. The kind used for treating gas, not the diluted drug store type..

Gumout winter Fuel Injection cleaner has a good amount.

Did some research. Looks like Iso-HEET has the most, about 99%

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Roger McGinnis,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the right stuff might have been used. Tough stuff.
I found that taking a handheld propane torch and warming it up real good all around softened it up enough to get it moving with a whack of a plastic mallet on the corner, not the middle of the top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dave Koehler,

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
LOL. I use The Right Stuff for end rail seals on the intake. 1000% better than silicone or a regular gasket. Real pain if I ever have to pull the manifold but there's a large enough gap to get a razor blade in to cut it out unlike the top/bottom of a tunnel ram.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post