DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What would you do?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Ok, just looking at something kinda for fun, or possibly a future build for another car. If you were going to build a new, supercharged combo, what direction would you go?

Cubic inches?
Hemi or BBC?
Roots, Procharger, or turbo?
If BBC, what heads and why?

Some additional criteria: Needs to be reliable, not a maintenance monster (normal stuff is being allowed for, but not something that's got to come apart several times a season), can be run solo if driver has no crew help, bracket raceable but also enough for some heads up stuff, good performance per dollar (not a mega bucks deal, something that makes good power per dollar spent), and as easy on parts as possible...

Just curious about what you guys will come up with. Please explain your choices as to why you'd go the route that you would....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
IF I were starting from scratch and wanted to bracket, heads up and T/D race, I would go with an EFI Procharger BBC setup in a name brand (Miller, Nelson, American, ETC) car.

And don't forget an FTI trans and converter!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You didn't say how much power you want or needed but I's say a blow through card procharger. Easy to change tune ups without much effort. Typical conventional BBC headed motor, 540 CID.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Biggest CI that you can afford and very little boost up the difference.

Buddy of mine went thru 3 LS motors this past year trying to go fast - keep telling him that MAX effort motors on a normal man's budget are not going to last.

Build a 540+CI motor and a turbo or procharger making moderate boost and it will last.

Way I see it is a sbc will make 750HP N/A...trying to get to 1300-1500hp with boost its not going to last very long. That is over 100% increase.

Put together a 540+ motor that makes 8-900 hp getting to that 1500 HP level with boost is a 60% increase.

And with both the above forget bracket racing it.

Your looking at too many contradictory items in my opinion. Unless you dont want to be competitive in the heads up stuff - then just build a big inch motor and get eaten up with the power addes in those classes.

Posts: 1435 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Man from wisconsin has bigblock pro charger dragster high gear mid 4 second 168 mph ride very very steady.Bracket races alot at Byron does well.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 400 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
steel rod 540 w/ procharger. mild boost prolly run 4.20s to 4.30s and run all year. I know several people bracket racing this combo. it won't run 6.10 so don't pick races where you need to run 6.10. call PAR they have done many of these for people.

ep-since we spending your money that what I would have

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
And with both the above forget bracket racing it.

I'd disagree with that statement to a point......I have friends back in Denver bracket racing 5 second capable cars on the mountain.....door cars......

I doubt I'll ever even do this, but if I can or do, it's gonna be down the road....This was just a curiosity thing to see what approach you'd take if you were building the combo....not asking for recommendations on builders, etc....just what you'd do if you were to build a combo like this......

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Whoops I missed the supercharged part.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Honestly, Depends on budget. You can go sub 4.50's with a BBC pretty reasonably with any power adder.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Ugh,.......some good answers then "stuff"....I'll redirect.

If you were to build a new, SUPERCHARGED combo, based on the criteria I listed, what direction would you go.

I'm not asking about any other power adders other than pro charger, roots, or turbo.
I'm not asking about recommendations for a builder.
I"m not asking for examples of what someone else is running...what would YOU BUILD AND WHY....
Didn't specify budget either.....look at the criteria.....

I was just asking what YOU would build if you wanted to put together a combo that meets the criteria I listed....nothing more...

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
This is more about seeing how different racers think about the same thing.....I'm just curious about the different directions people would take to get to the same result....

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm from NJ so I'll be"ED".

Get your own dragster down the track before trying a new project. It seems like you have enough problems already! You made two/three hits in Florida and now you want a new car.

To quote ED. "CLUELESS"!

I want to see those 6 thirty passes from your car first!

Good luck!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Pro Chargers are becoming more and more popular and i am seeming more of them and blowers every year at bracket races,

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:

Get your own dragster down the track before trying a new project. It seems like you have enough problems already! You made two/three hits in Florida and now you want a new car.

To quote ED. "CLUELESS"!

Good luck!

^^^^^^^this

ep-look in lanes at SGMP next week and see what others in your class are running compared to what you are doing then go from there. that what I would do.

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Nothing against Prochargers, there dam fast for sure but a roots type blower will always have a "cool factor" that a Procharger will never have. JMO

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If you are starting from scratch then I would say go with Procharger deal it has several advantages. I do agree the Roots type has the cool factor though and Prochargers are not allowed in some classes.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Agree with the “cool factor” of a roots style deal - Steve’s video from the other day showcases that!

Guy we race with has a blow through carb pro charger setup. He normally runs like 6.90s but plays with it later in the day if he goes out early. Last year he put 6.50 on the dial board after running some higher 6’s and it went 6.50 on the nose. He’s done the same thing before too. Impressive in my opinion!

540 seems like the common displacement for these engines. Our 4.25” stroke naturally aspirated stuff is fast so I’m thinking that stroke with the 4.500 bore which gives the head gaskets more room to seal is the hot ticket.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:

To quote ED. "CLUELESS"!

Good luck!

You had to go there didn't you? You obviously didn't read any of my posts.......

Mark Goulette

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Nothing against Prochargers, there dam fast for sure but a roots type blower will always have a "cool factor" that a Procharger will never have. JMO

I didn't get into the weeds with it. But a friend did a procharger deal last year, and had the ratio so that he could run pretty reasonable low boost. Just a bracket deal. The problem was that it couldn't get out of its own was at the starting line. Until that blower started making rpm, there was 0 boost. I don't know all the details obviously. But they did a lot of testing last year to keep reasonable top boost but get the thing off the line and didn't have a lot of luck.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
Pro Charged BBC

Really clean and detailed out car, I'd run EFI personally.

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post