DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What would you do?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
I had these same questions and built a 540 F1R (side mount) pro charger, 3x as cast(CBC bowls & exits) 363 Brodix heads, callies rods & crank, wiseco pistons, mild camshaft, steel block. All apd fuel system (simple) , Hughes converter without any effort it made well over 1500hp and ran 4.2s in a new diamond dragster. To me the procharger has much more of a cool factor (the whistle) and as a racer I felt it was driveable, raceable and low maintenance.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
IF I were looking at a new combination from nothing, and needed to go with a supercharger setup I would go with the procharger and EFI. May have a little learning curve, but once figured out can be tuned to run about anywhere. With all the technology used today it could be tuned to be as mild or as wild as you wanted it. As for base of motor? that would be personal preference. More than likely stick with a BBC just for ease of finding stuff when broken or replacement costs as stuff wears out. This is all theoretical since there is no specific application or reason for such a build.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Jodie Jent
posted Hide Post
What et are you shooting for?

This would be my approach to answer your questions.

Having just gone through this myself with a procharger build I couldn't be happier with mine so far. Low maintenance, very raceable, and its very repeatable.

Sent you a PM Colorado

Posts: 495 | Location: Owingsville, Ky. | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
540/10-71 , in a roadster/altered ... zoomies and a wing ! ... even if it ain't the fastest thing out there , it will feel like it ! ... and it will be the coolest ..lol.. umm , at our age, down the road is now !

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Curious, Cost of a complete Brad Hemi vs BBC ? Brad cost less? Easily sleeved, better heads? Stronger bottom end.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjentracing:
What et are you shooting for?

This would be my approach to answer your questions.

Having just gone through this myself with a procharger build I couldn't be happier with mine so far. Low maintenance, very raceable, and its very repeatable.

Sent you a PM Colorado

What ET do you normally bracket race that combo? What tire are you using?

My first year of being able to run a bit faster than I was was sure a learning process. It seems that I can dead hook the car and run very consistently in the 7.30's and 1.04 or so 60's. But going faster than that (on my Hoosiers) means I have a good chance of inconsistencies and even shake. Everything seems to change at some point, and I have to completely change how I leave and what wheel speed is acceptable. Dead hooking at very low 7's for me has been not a good idea.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Always loved a blower car and that said I started my car with idea of staying away from temptation of blower. What happened more and more bracket guys going to blowers. My problem is being able to control the go faster part of me. Most are no where near boost I use to run and for good reason.

Guess my vote pretty obvious. Blower for sure and I would go roots,again they get over top for cool factor. Plus I have all the drives,yea no help for you there.LOL Plus you get some old technology stuff cheap if shopping around. Pro charger work no doubt.Guess its a preference thing as to which to run.

As for motor.BBC has ton of stuff that works great with blower ,especially with OD restraint and again I don't have. Hemi wins hands down for strength of parts of available and ease of working on.Make that hands down twice for ease of working on. Down side parts are not cheap ,then how fast do want to go?

Since you already know bbc stuff I would vote BBC shorter stroke,big bore and blower.With blower you dial in more TQ if want.You would be able to spin it harder if wanted to and with blower od adjustment you would not have to if did not.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Jodie Jent
posted Hide Post
Bucky- first weekend out I had it slowed some to get a feel for everything and had it dialed 4.30 all weekend (4 days). Next weekend at home sped it up a little and it’s going 4.16 with some timing pulled. At 4.30 60’ was 1.00 and at 4.16 is .960. It did go a .996 at 4.30’s and .957 at 4.16 best so far. I run the 3196.

My new car is a Diamond front/rear suspension and Dan Davieshelped guide me more than anyone. I checked out some others like Carl Drake Jr and a few others with larger head units. We’ve ran roots style blowers on our cars for several years and I just decided to make the switch on my new car.

For fuel system on the blow thru stuff I’d highly recommend Joey at APD. For convertor any of the big name companies can lead you in the right direction. I’ve been using BTE for years and purchased this one when Bryan Robinson was still there.

I ran mine around Kentucky area in November, so you know it’s getting cold by then and it was still repeating. This year I plan to pull more or just slow down slightly when needed just a tad bit but other then that I plan to leave it as is.

Not experienced any shake with it yet and seems the more power you add the more it likes it so far.

Posts: 495 | Location: Owingsville, Ky. | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bucky- first weekend out I had it slowed some to get a feel for everything and had it dialed 4.30 all weekend (4 days). Next weekend at home sped it up a little and it’s going 4.16 with some timing pulled. At 4.30 60’ was 1.00 and at 4.16 is .960. It did go a .996 at 4.30’s and .957 at 4.16 best so far. I run the 3196.

My new car is a Diamond front/rear suspension and Dan Davieshelped guide me more than anyone. I checked out some others like Carl Drake Jr and a few others with larger head units. We’ve ran roots style blowers on our cars for several years and I just decided to make the switch on my new car.

For fuel system on the blow thru stuff I’d highly recommend Joey at APD. For convertor any of the big name companies can lead you in the right direction. I’ve been using BTE for years and purchased this one when Bryan Robinson was still there.

I ran mine around Kentucky area in November, so you know it’s getting cold by then and it was still repeating. This year I plan to pull more or just slow down slightly when needed just a tad bit but other then that I plan to leave it as is.

Not experienced any shake with it yet and seems the more power you add the more it likes it so far.

Which tire? M/T?
I suspect that you are not dead hooked and have a little wheel speed at those 60' times. I could and often am wrong though.
I don't get boost quite as quickly as I need to keep my wheel speed above dead hook territory. That's a challenge.
EFI for fuel with methanol

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes M/T Big Bubba 3196 @ 6.3-6.4 lb.

I borrowed that tire from a friend for a day. I have to say, I couldn't get it to shake. In fact, there was almost no way for me to hit it too hard that it was dead hooked.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

<DOTracer>
posted
money no object high end deal I would do a 481X with a procharger. Hemi is way too much maintenance.

https://youtu.be/5Vvu-bCMg-w

More realistic cost deal, I would do a 540 with a Procharger.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Speaking of these go fast dragsters: Are tracks ET limited for fast bracket or outlaw racing? Can an IHRA track put on an outlaw dragster race, heads up no limits? I see some of the combos that are in even Top Dragster that can run well under 6.00, and they detune them. Can sanctioned tracks put on an under 6.0 second dragster race? What does it mean safety equipment and chassis wise in a practical way for the racers?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo