DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    TD Blown Alcohol Fuel Systems Maintenance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TD Blown Alcohol Fuel Systems Maintenance?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted
Rookie Questions: What are the end of day;end of race; end of season activities you perform to ensure no alcohol corrosion damage?

There is a KLOTZ top end lube/stabilizer additive in the alcohol.

For example:
Fill fuel tank to the top or completely empty tank and fuel line to pump?
Drain alcohol and run engine briefly on gas?
Etc.

Other ideas?

Thanks...

DG

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I always leave my fuel tank full and plug off the vent to prevent the alcohol from absorbing moisture anytime it sits more than a few hours. Same thing after a race, plus pull the lines off the BV and pump and spray WD40 into them, rotate the pump and work the BV back and forth. Clean the filter after every race. I leave my tank full and capped off during the off-season and have never had a problem.

IMO, it's a good idea to kill the engine with the fuel shut-off, that gets a lot of the alcohol out of the cylinders and injector lines. I pull the shut-off and wait for the engine to rev up, then when it starts to quit, I kill the ignition. I do this every time I shut off the engine and have had no problens with cylinder pitting with alcohol sitting in the rings.

I do not use lube in the fuel.

If you decide to cap off the fuel tank vent,it's a good idea to use some kind of visible reminder so you don't forget to open the vent before starting the engine.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you are talking about a MFI system.................

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Enderle FI and Pump on a 10-71 blower.

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Enderle FI and 10-71 blower.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Benders routine is about 100% spot on. Especailly killing engine with shut off,could add feeding from bottle of gas to clean alky residue from blower and intake track.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Benders routine is about 100% spot on. Especailly killing engine with shut off,could add feeding from bottle of gas to clean alky residue from blower and intake track.

Wink

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2