DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3/4” or 1” Torque wrench recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3/4” or 1” Torque wrench recommendations
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Profits may play in...but so does competition. If tire shop across town does not own tools to tighten the nuts properly, yet the shop I work at does, we all know that those tools aren't cheap. So how does a tech deal with having to spend $500+ on a torque wrench? One of two ways. Pay it out, or pass it on--usually to the consumer. Paying it out is stressful, costs me (the tech) money out of my already small pay check each week/month. It doesn't take very many expensive special tools to add up, quick. Tools can put a tech out of business (I know from experience), or a shop that tells a tech to buy said tools, an said tech can't afford them, that tech is more likely to leave & go elsewhere.

It's sometimes not as simple as putting profit over safety.

If the business buys the tools, you can bet on the likelihood that the consumer pays for it in one way or another.

Several years ago I had to buy $28,000 worth of special tooling...working for someone else. That was more than half of my yearly salary. Technicians tool buying never ends, there's always something you don't have but could use. Luckily for me, I was able to deduct some of it on my taxes, but I don't think I can do that anymore unless it's 5% floor, but I may be wrong. Didn't buy many tools last year, thankfully!

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
TD3550,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks,

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
I recently bought a new trailer and replaced my hitch setup as well. Per Equalizer the hitch ball needed to be torque to 430 ft/lbs.

I wouldn't hardly ever use a 3.4" torque wrench so I didn't want to invest alot of money in one.

Found one from Summit which was $179.00 after the Pro Shop racer discount. Goes up to 600 ft/lbs.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-m204

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Sup Al Q? Miss ya bro!

Barry, torque sticks are still used and when used properly get it done well! The 1" drive impact is typically abused and depended upon in the Big Tire industries...(bad idea).

The big tire companies commonly pay for the tools used in the industry, not the tire technicians. Unfortunately they have over torqued most all wheels they touch and comprise the studs on the wheels they touch...just the known facts in the industry.

RAD Torque Tools have been quoted and some sold to companies like GCR and Southern Tire and others...unfortunately with the size of this industry...minimal has occurred.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
The Summit deal is pretty good. I never really thought about using a torque wrench on mine until now. I just check them often with my pipe and breaker bar. I looked and found several on FB marketplace used for $200-$500. I'll probably just order a Summit one.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post