DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    "Plastic" sealed beams
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Plastic" sealed beams
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
At one point, cars that were equipped the two rectangular sealed beams per side [example 4651 or 4656 style beams] [also my 1982 3rd gen Camaro]

So far, I am not finding that replacement plastic bulb, only a glass replacement.

Looking for help or part numbers or good condition used plastic. I need four bulbs, does not matter high or low beam, they are for appearance only.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I have a 1982 crash manual with all of the GM part #'s. It doesn't list any plastic sealed beams. The numbers all cross to standard glass sealed beams. 5966200, 5966201 are the standard lamps. it lists 5930567 and a later book lists 16502327 but they are for halogen.
The complete capsule assy which is the sealed beam with the bucket and ring are listed as 16503498-7 and 16501471-0 but I believe these are all glass sealed beams also. I have a 1992 crash manual and it shows the same.
I don't have any factory GM parts manuals for those years.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sealed beam conversions at summit
https://www.summitracing.com/s...sions?ibanner=SREPD4

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the plastic sealed beams were a aftermarket thing. Don't remember who made them wagner maybe. Been a while since I worked at a parts counter.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I did find part # for plastic but I believe they are smaller than the standard sealed beam. I believe they are for Gran Prix and Cutlass FWD coupes. 16510872 16510873.
Grote does make 4x6" LED sealed beam replacements.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
At Summit Racing GTE-90951-5

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I need to clarify my plastic sealed beam question. This is for my 1982 Camaro Lamplighter project

During the late 80's - early 90's GM & Ford built cars with plastic sealed beams. They are the small, rectangular bulb, installed in some Buick and Olds G bodies and some Ford Crown Vics.

The only advantages is, they are about 1/2 the weight of a glass beam. However, for the set of four, the weight savings would be three pounds. That was my only reason for seeking a set.

Lately, I have discovered they are no longer available new but can be found on eBay and other places as new/old stock. The average price is $35.00 each including shipping.

So, I will find other places to save three pounds for much less than $140.00

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I managed to find a set of plastic headlights for my car. Although they remove a couple of pounds, the brightness just isn't the same as some glass/halogen sealed beams. Modern LED conversion bulbs are a much better choice.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post