DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pump flow test bench
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pump flow test bench
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Working on a fuel pump flow test bench. Have ton of lquid flow guages and instruments for Test and Balance business.

Thinking a simple variable speed motor,tank some plumbing and measure pressure and flow.Use pump when new with known numbers and compare regular bases. Not build ing full fledged flow bench yet. LMAO I know me!

Wondering if anyone here has tried and/or done similar and thoughts or helpful suggestion on design.

I know limited field of folks crazy enough to want such,but then where the fun in being like others?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You will probably need some way to measure pump rpm. I have used a non contact tachometer. The variable drive motor was what hung me up a bit putting one together.
Flow gauges can be pricey and often need some calibration. Certainly a lot easier test wise than using volume measurements.
I would avoid using fuel for the test liquid, but water may not be ideal too. Something with similar specific gravity and viscosity as methanol would be best.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
water works fine as I am not flowing system just keeping check. As long as pump stays the same I ame good. I have very accurate pressure and flow volume measuring equipment. As for rpm have cpl strobe tachs quaranteed to +/- 1%. Like I said use to do flow testing for living.Have been in more ER's than most Dr.'s fortunately just for work.

I know water works pretty well since Gorr does most all testing using water. Hard to argue with ol Ralph,well now Spike.

More than likely will end up with total flow bench before done. I know me.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Crap found a bunch of extra flow measuring stations and gauges along with extra 7.5 HP motor in building.Looks like another going to far project. But so far cost is right dang near nothing.

Going to make few phone calls to Spike and Spud and see if they can giving me in insider info.