DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hard to crank after a run ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard to crank after a run ?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
I just switched to gas with new engine combo , so not sure if related as i didnt have this problem on alky. I spin engine over fine first start of the day with the ignition on, no issues. After making a run and coasting to the ticket booth with the engine off, when i crank engine back up with ignition switch back , the motor wont spin over unless i switch ignition off, then back on once engine's spinning over. ignition timing is set to 34 degrees with no retards set in the Grid. This is on 16volt with a brand new 139 tooth starter. SR20's on x16 fuel. Thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Frizie,

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to retard the timing while
cranking...........34° is a lot while cranking a hot engine. Pull 20° while cranking

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
I just switched to gas with new engine combo , so not sure if related as i didnt have this problem on alky. I spin engine over fine first start of the day with the ignition on, no issues. After making a run and coasting to the ticket both with the engine off, when i crank engine back up with ignition switch back , the motor wont spin over unless i switch ignition off, then back on once engine's spinning over. ignition timing is set to 34 degrees with no retards set in the Grid. This is on 16volt with a brand new 139 tooth starter. SR20's on x16 fuel. Thoughts?

That's par for the course gasoline. Hit the ignition after you spin the engine, or work on the cooling system so you don't have to shut it off.

I put a billet 153 tooth flexplate on a BBC in a Camaro for the first time, last time too most likely. I'm not impressed.

It's not horrible, but it ain't great either, acts like yours.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Sounds like you need to retard the timing while
cranking...........34° is a lot while cranking a hot engine. Pull 20° while cranking

That's my thought. First time of the day it's probably not primed nor inclined to fire. So it spins pretty easy.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just switched to gas with new engine combo , so not sure if related as i didnt have this problem on alky. I spin engine over fine first start of the day with the ignition on, no issues. After making a run and coasting to the ticket booth with the engine off, when i crank engine back up with ignition switch back , the motor wont spin over unless i switch ignition off, then back on once engine's spinning over. ignition timing is set to 34 degrees with no retards set in the Grid. This is on 16volt with a brand new 139 tooth starter. SR20's on x16 fuel. Thoughts?

Michael, 16 volts here with a House of Payne Ultimate Big Dawg 139 starter. We run 35 degrees timing with the grid and no start retard. We always spin the engine first then hit the ignition switch to start.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
First check the basics and make sure you have a good ground. Assuming all is good, I have seen carbs that restart easy and some that fight you! Start retread is usually needed but I have seen different values work for similar engines, mine likes 8 degrees. If you try this make sure you have phased the rotor correctly or a large degree retard could cause a jump to the wrong cylinder! Also I don't see why you wouldn't hit the start button first and then the ignition all the time,,,, your starter will be happier for it!!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Michael have you checked/set the timing in the car with your ignition box? Mine was 5 degrees more than as delievered/from PARs dyno.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Michael have you checked/set the timing in the car with your ignition box? Mine was 5 degrees more than as delievered/from PARs dyno.

I'm assuming you have a grid also? Mine was also 5 degrees advanced from the dyno. But the condition is still present after correcting the timing to the car's ignition . And only once engine has made a run .

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
First check the basics and make sure you have a good ground. Assuming all is good, I have seen carbs that restart easy and some that fight you! Start retread is usually needed but I have seen different values work for similar engines, mine likes 8 degrees. If you try this make sure you have phased the rotor correctly or a large degree retard could cause a jump to the wrong cylinder! Also I don't see why you wouldn't hit the start button first and then the ignition all the time,,,, your starter will be happier for it!!

Like i said, cranks perfectly fine doing it that way, just didn’t know if it was a characteristic of the fuel and high compression.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:

Like i said, cranks perfectly fine doing it that way, just didn’t know if it was a characteristic of the fuel and high compression.

I would say yes. We almost never start the dragster motor with ignition on before hitting the starter switch, gas or alky.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
No start retard or you run the risk of what Al said.....cross fire in the cap due to rotor phase being off

I did use it for a while with a Terminator but found no retard and ignition on during cranking worked best....35-36 degrees of timing..

If it's hot crack the throttle and maybe try a pump or two on the gas pedal before cranking

Cold it started very easily with an occasional minor sneeze back but usually not

HOP 139 Big Dawg starters and 12 volts....

I always coasted after a run to keep heat down and started many times...Gas carb..

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am just throwing this out there. I believe the grid has some sort of a run timer to help from stuck throttle etc. If you have that set it may be shutting it down?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I am just throwing this out there. I believe the grid has some sort of a run timer to help from stuck throttle etc. If you have that set it may be shutting it down?

That's clearly not his problem but safety reminders are a good thing, and I believe the grid has the same safety function and the Digital 7 box, you set a time after T brake release or loss of a 12v signal and an rpm limit, I use 2000 rpm's 7.5 seconds,,, but never thought to change it on 1/8 tracks!! Another safety reminder I see over and over that is overlooked, the transbrake lock out after release, I believe every delay box has a lockout feature that allows you to set a time where the T brake will not reactivate after release, I have seen too many racers accidently hit the t brake button in first gear on a run, usually doesn't turn out so well.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

just won turn motor over if the ignition switch is flipped on prior to cranking it. spin her over then hitting the ignition , fires right up.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Ramp in the timing, instead of setting it at 34 degrees at 0 rpm, set it for 26 at 0 rpm and 34 degrees at 750 rpm.

joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
I always spin it before hitting the ignition switch. I've torn up a few flexplates trying to start it with the ignition on first

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Just me but I don't see the problem. Spinning and then flipping the ignition seems to work so no problem. My POS low compression small block will crank hard if I turn the ignition on and start it hot with locked timing. It will act up sometimes hot if I touch the throttle even with spinning and then turning ignition on. The rich mixture makes it harder to start hot.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how racing carbs work, but if using an electric fuel pump, have you tried turning off the pump 15 -30 seconds prior to turning the engine off hot?

Agree, what Joe posted about programming ramping cranking retard if trying this method.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I don’t know how racing carbs work, but if using an electric fuel pump, have you tried turning off the pump 15 -30 seconds prior to turning the engine off hot?

Agree, what Joe posted about programming ramping cranking retard if trying this method.

my engine has mech belt drive apd pump. and for clarification, it wont cant/wont crank the engine at all. have to have ignition off, then it spins. all connections check ok. battery is 16volt agm and has been in service since 2017.maybe since i'm running 16volt with 139 tooth stuff, its still strong enough to get engine spinning with ignition off. HMMMM new battery going in this week. if condition still present will add retard in. Cool

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Fatten up all 4 idle mix screws 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post