DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hotlapping Trans FLuid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotlapping Trans FLuid
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
Had an issue this past Monday here in Maryland. Very hot outside. RT for the day .001,.001, .021, .010, -.034 Red.

Don't have a trans Temp sensor. Fluid is just a standard fluid nothing special. I know I saw yellow on the last run. I have a very hard time believing I let go -.034. Just curious if this could be a fluid issue as in getting hot & affecting the RT. ValveBody is an FTI billet.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
IMO, information is your friend. I have a trans temp gauge, and I can flip the cooler fan on if I see that I am gaining too much hot lapping.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MorgretNation:
Had an issue this past Monday here in Maryland. Very hot outside. RT for the day .001,.001, .021, .010, -.034 Red.

Don't have a trans Temp sensor. Fluid is just a standard fluid nothing special. I know I saw yellow on the last run. I have a very hard time believing I let go -.034. Just curious if this could be a fluid issue as in getting hot & affecting the RT. ValveBody is an FTI billet.

First,I am surprised that you don't have a trans temp sensor.I personally think it is a bracket racer's best friend.I do like the ATI Super F fluid.

Second,is it "possible "that you just missed it?

I practice regularly on the practice tree,and of course race also.

Sometimes,we are all human and miss the tree.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
I had one on the old car. My racepak sportsman is using all the channels. I need to get Greg Kelley to open up a couple more channels. As for missing it, I do agree somewhat. I usually dont miss it to go that red. I saw Yellow & let go. 34 red seems like you would have to let go on nothing.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had one on the old car. My racepak sportsman is using all the channels. I need to get Greg Kelley to open up a couple more channels. As for missing it, I do agree somewhat. I usually dont miss it to go that red. I saw Yellow & let go. 34 red seems like you would have to let go on nothing.

When I get a chance later I will look at my datalogs. I had the same problem last week, a -030 red out of nowhere, plus I was on a Pro Tree, no guessing there! RT was within .001 of the previous pass, so I was staged in the same place!

I bet it's the fluid temp, and I have the data to go look at, but after the fact doesn't help me, except for knowing at the NEXT race to pay attention!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Yeah, let me know what you find. I just left Greg's website. Ordered the trans sensor & the 2 channel upgrade. It's possible that is not the issue but I will have more info moving forward.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:

When I get a chance later I will look at my datalogs. I had the same problem last week, a -030 red out of nowhere, plus I was on a Pro Tree, no guessing there! RT was within .001 of the previous pass, so I was staged in the same place!

I bet it's the fluid temp, and I have the data to go look at, but after the fact doesn't help me, except for knowing at the NEXT race to pay attention!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it’s the temp myself, I don’t even have a cooler on this car and never had that happen.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
What fluid do you run ?

quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I don’t think it’s the temp myself, I don’t even have a cooler on this car and never had that happen.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Steve, I have a run where trans temp was 163 leaving and another where it was 206 and the converter flash was only about 100 rpm different. My converter only flashes to a little over 5k though.

Posts: 456 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just plain jane trans fluid, I usually get it in big jugs at Walmart because it is way cheaper than parts store. I think the last stuff I bought was valvoline but would have to check the jug in the trailer.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If your 60' times were off then I'd say that the car backed out of the lights or jerked the wheels out of the beam!

Posts: 23 | Location: Clarksville,Tn. 37042 | Registered: December 21, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
I have tried regular oil, sythetic fluid, and John Deere hydraulic fluid. After about 5th rd they are all at 200* +.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Took a look at all my runs from last weekend. Even with a 50* swing from first pass of the day to the last, R/T was almost identical and 60ft was within a few thou.

So, when I missed it late, or really red, it was me. Not the trans temp.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 27Keith:
I have tried regular oil, sythetic fluid, and John Deere hydraulic fluid. After about 5th rd they are all at 200* +.

Yes but the synthetics don't change viscosity as much as the cheap fluids which is why they are generally more consistent.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
This is precisely why we developed our fluid.

I spent a year with a lubrication engineer to develop our fluid so the converter charge pressure wouldnt change over a large temperature range. we were not able to hold perfect but we did however get it down to a 8 psi swing from 85 degrees to 240 degrees. We tested many brands of fluid to see how they performed and saw as much as a 70 psi swing in converter charge pressure. Remember that converter charge pressure is regulated after the fact with hole diameters. So therefore it was a challenge to say the least. What created the biggest challenge was to get the fluid to lubricate,act as a hydraulic fluid ,not foam,control temperature which is caused by fluid shear and make it affordable. This fluid is available here as well as all the warehouse distributors at an attractive price point. we also have 10 case specials. Many trans builders keep it in stock as well. We use it and believe in it. I guess after you dump 10 tons of money and about 250 hrs of dyno time it should be good!!!! here is the link to it.

https://ftiperformance.com/sea...it.sc?keywords=fluid

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Took a look at all my runs from last weekend. Even with a 50* swing from first pass of the day to the last, R/T was almost identical and 60ft was within a few thou.

So, when I missed it late, or really red, it was me. Not the trans temp.

And I am using the FTI trans fluid.

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Would this fluid be ok for a 2001 F250 automatic. Ford calls for a mecron V spec.

quote:
Originally posted by FTI:

I spent a year with a lubrication engineer to develop our fluid so the converter charge pressure wouldnt change over a large temperature range. we were not able to hold perfect but we did however get it down to a 8 psi swing from 85 degrees to 240 degrees. We tested many brands of fluid to see how they performed and saw as much as a 70 psi swing in converter charge pressure. Remember that converter charge pressure is regulated after the fact with hole diameters. So therefore it was a challenge to say the least. What created the biggest challenge was to get the fluid to lubricate,act as a hydraulic fluid ,not foam,control temperature which is caused by fluid shear and make it affordable. This fluid is available here as well as all the warehouse distributors at an attractive price point. we also have 10 case specials. Many trans builders keep it in stock as well. We use it and believe in it. I guess after you dump 10 tons of money and about 250 hrs of dyno time it should be good!!!! here is the link to it.

Greg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1leg,

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 236 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Ok. Thanks for all the responses & info. Once again I am probably over thinking it. The 60' was no different. The ET all looked good from the run before.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had the opposite problem sunday, during the eppin race I had 004 to 010 lights, during elim. later rounds the reaction times fell off but the 60' times got better, I run fti converter and fluid, I wonder if the trans specialties cast iron valve body could be the problem or the pump pressure? the car does not rock on the brake and it left wheels up each time, this is a super gas car and I leave at 6200 rpm. stall is 6500rpm. anybody have a guess?

Posts: 17 | Location: Kinderhook, N.Y., USA. | Registered: February 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
Would this fluid be ok for a 2001 F250 automatic. Ford calls for a mecron V spec.

quote:
Originally posted by FTI:

Greg

Yes! It exceeds all the Mercon/Dextron ratings. I personally run it in my 05' F250 with the very picky 5R110W. Run's like a champ.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post