DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Winch wireless remote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winch wireless remote
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What causes the signal to be interrupted?

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dead battery in the remote

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Mine is a harbor freight deal and so far it's worked at nearly 75 feet from the winch without issue....but the batteries are good too.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I had to replace the batteries in my remote control about 3/4 through the season, the ones that come in them are junk. Mine is a harbor fright one also.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yeah the batteries in ours don’t last very long. It makes the winch stop and go. My wife got a pack off amazon.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Warn kit, battery does go dead over time. I've had it installed now for 14 years, and had to replace the battery last year for the first time. Sure do like the wireless remote though!

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have the Harbor Freight 2500 lb ATV winch that comes with the wireless remote included. It does "stutter" quite a bit when pulling my dragster in, but I always assumed it was because the advertised range is 50 ft and I'm probably 40-ish feet away at the start of the pull. It does still stutter when I get closer though.

I still have the original battery in the remote over 2 years later, but I don't use the dragster very much.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the unit sold by Tommy Johnson.After MANY years,mine was not working properly.He told me the board or something inside had probably gone bad.I bought a new one and it works fine.There is a lifespan.They don't last forever if yours is an old one.

https://tommyjohnsonjr.com/adv...ology/winch-remotes/

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I have the Harbor Freight 2500 lb ATV winch that comes with the wireless remote included. It does "stutter" quite a bit when pulling my dragster in, but I always assumed it was because the advertised range is 50 ft and I'm probably 40-ish feet away at the start of the pull. It does still stutter when I get closer though.

I still have the original battery in the remote over 2 years later, but I don't use the dragster very much.

Try changing the battery, you might get surprised. That’s what mine acts like when the battery is going, and it will do it for a very long time before completely stopping.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight batteries are not known for quality! Maybe that’s why you can get idk 36 AA for $4 !

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Coop, hope it’s ok to ask on your thread..

Winches.. Camaro 3470 without driver. How small can I get away with ?
Lenny- sent you a pm.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lenny the bigger the better, I have a 4000 lb winch for my dragster.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

Barry,
Most of the time you are pulling the car with minimal rolling resistance up a small incline, so the winch only needs to overcome that force. Typically that is less than 500 pounds, the problem comes in where something is broke or amiss and you need more pulling force.

My car weighs 3250 and I have a 3500 pound winch in the trailer.

Joe

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If for any reason you need more pulling power from your winch just use a pulley. If you run the cable to the car, use a pulley on the car, then hook the cable back to the winch you will double the pulling power at the expense of 1/2 the speed.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Coop, hope it’s ok to ask on your thread..

Lenny- sent you a pm.

If it helps winch weight ratings are for vertical pulls. So a 400ln winch is rated to pull 4000lbs straight up and is overkill for most anything we would pull in a trailer. I have a buddy who pulls his all steel full frame 66 Chevelle with a 25002lb winch with no issues. It aint the fastest but works fine.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
2500 lb ATV winch in mine. Pulls the car in with no problem at all. Same winch used to be on an open trailer, with a home-made block & tackle setup (made out of a lawn mower pulley and some steel straps and a spare hook), it'd pull the car halfway up the trailer in park before it started to really grunt. This is an old Warn A2000 which is identical to the A2500 but the A2500 uses 6ga wiring where the A2000 was 10ga. Needless to say I've got it wired with 6ga and the only reason is because I had enough to do it, and zero cost. Winch cost me $50 purchased at work from a traded-in ATV, gosh, has to be 20 years old now. The A2500 is no longer, I think they call it a 2.5ci now, and I like it a little better. Look at KFI as well, they are chinese, however. Warn might be too. Dunno. Is Ramsey still around? We used to sell a few Ramsey 2500's back in the day, never had an issue. KFI even being chincanese, I've never had to work on one. Replaced a contactor once but never the winch itself.

Harbor Freight? Badlands? I've had to replace a BUNCH of those. Wiring is subpar. Contactor is absolute junk (not all of their winches even have a contactor, some are direct wired to a switch). Really poor all around, but people still keep buying them. Bet I've had to replace 50 of them over the years. Dad's had 2 or 3 in his trailer (harbor fright).

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post