DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    gear oil fill rear end
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gear oil fill rear end
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
. Filling the housing on FED again after fixing smallest yet nasty leak. I was seeing how deep oil was. 1 qt was up to second bolt up housing and up on spools edge, 1.5 had me just below the spool bearings.Figure 2 will have me up to bearing pretty good and lots maybe 35% of ring gear in oil. Seems that more than enough and maybe little much. I did intentionally design housing to need as little capacity as possible to eliminate need for extra oil and unneeded weight.

How deep should it be in relation to ring gear? I know on the top loaders we ran just below axle spline opening in spool.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Is this a 9" rear?

If so, take out the fill plug in the center section, when it comes out of that it's full.

IMO just to the bottom of the axle tubes is right.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
While you try and skimp on oil just remember your nuts are sitting over the rear end

Posts: 2400 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If was trying to skimp I wouldn't have asked and just went with enough to cover gear.At same time too much will just add to pressure in housing and serve no good purpose.

No plug in this case. Not sure why its strange aluminum center section.

Seems 2.25 qts gets you to just below axle and gets spool bearing fairly wet.

As for nuts.Why do you think there is a dbl plate(2 x.090 moly) over ring gear section?Besides hell married and not much need for them now days.LMAO

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Just tell the wife to keep them in the lock box when you go race.LMAO

Dave

DC: I usually use 2 qts..

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea she already thinks she controls them. Told me cpl months back to keep being smarta$$ and she was going to cut me off.I told her she couldn't she didn't know where I was getting it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Laughing Hard

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
a guy who used to be here said 1 cup is a plenty

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Yea she already thinks she controls them. Told me cpl months back to keep being smarta$$ and she was going to cut me off.I told her she couldn't she didn't know where I was getting it.

You aren't alone... Let the dead rest in peace.

H*ll I'm happy just to get out of the bed without slipping a disc. H*ll to get old.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Most 9 inch rears hold 2 quarts and it does not have to be exact.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

You aren't alone... Let the dead rest in peace.

H*ll I'm happy just to get out of the bed without slipping a disc. H*ll to get old.

Old guy told me once.Youngster think they are bada$$.Let them get 50 and lets see .Because it takes a bad SOB to get old. Plus life in prison not that long to old man. LMAO