DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    F-250 “Death Wobble”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F-250 “Death Wobble”
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted
Has anybody else had an issue with the death wobble in the steering of newer f-250/350. I have a 2019 250 diesel, 25k miles never an issue until today, hit a little bump on the tollway and it started shaking pretty much taking the wheel out of my hands until I slowed to about 25 mph. Any known fixes for this or anybody dealt with a dealer on trying to fix the issue?

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
The only fix I have seen is a double shock steering stabilizer.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a thing of the past with the shake. Not now. Class action going on now. Complaints out the *****. I would be livid if spending that type of coin and have a serious issue like the death wobble. I know my F450 shook after about a year. Came with no stabilizer on it at all. Put the kit on it.

https://www.classaction.org/ne...n-f-250-f-350-models

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I took a part-time job driving hotshot runs for a local machine. Their truck [late F-350 Super Duty] was such an ill driving machine, I resigned. I had no incentive to drive such a rig. I DFW traffic it was just about impossible to keep it in one lane.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Neighbor just got back from a cross country trip towing a lightweight travel trailer with his new F250. Had a story to tell about the sudden death wobble at highway speed! truck has about 20k on it. Went to closest dealer when it happened, said they had a list of things to check and try but no definite fix. He said it was a slow ride home from Colorado hoping it wouldn't happen again.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It is a major problem. My FIL has a 2019 F250 4wd diesel and at 40k miles, it has begun the familiar death wobble. He dealt with this on his 2012 F250 as well, but not until it had around 150k miles on it. He contacted the local service manager from the dealer that it was purchased from, and he said "we've been getting a lot of complaints."

Oddly enough, we found with his old one, new tires would conceal the problem until the new tires became about half worn.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Is this happening on primarily 4WD trucks or also 2WD?

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
Is this happening on primarily 4WD trucks or also 2WD?

Dave I've only seen it on 4WD models.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Has anybody else had an issue with the death wobble in the steering of newer f-250/350. I have a 2019 250 diesel, 25k miles never an issue until today, hit a little bump on the tollway and it started shaking pretty much taking the wheel out of my hands until I slowed to about 25 mph. Any known fixes for this or anybody dealt with a dealer on trying to fix the issue?

Chevy!
Sorry, couldn't resist. Cool

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Stay on top of this and file. Like a lot of other F series owners have.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
There was a tsb where we changed the caster and camber and steering shock. Now they are just having us change the steering shock. Our shop foreman (which is one of the smartest people I know) thinks the frames are more rigid on the 17 and up and that could be transporting harmonics to the steering. I agree that a dual dampner system is going to be needed. Have to wait for the engineers to agree.

Posts: 831 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We 9 each 2019 f 250 in our fleet. All started getting the wobble between 15-20K miles. Ford fixed for free with the steering stabilizer. I would bet we see a recall coming out soon. Not good when you spend that much money for a truck. They had that problem in the past. You would think they could figure it out by now.

Posts: 5 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
This one is a 4wd and as stated has 25k on it, 11 mos old. Did it again today on the same stretch of road on the way home from work. Same path I’ve traveled since I’ve had it, but it’ll be at the dealer Monday morning to see what they say. If it isn’t corrected I may have to do what Top38 suggests.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
lemon rule maybe ???

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of our new F250 work trucks doing this. The steering shock will fix it but it’s a bandaid to worn front end parts. It will only get worse if you let them bandaid it after it gets a lot of miles on it.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
There usually are updated pittman arm and Idler arm from places like Napa. They would be my 1st go to.Napa will open boxes up and look. Especially the owners they want you business. Good Folks in our town May I Help you

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
We have a lot of our new F250 work trucks doing this. The steering shock will fix it but it’s a bandaid to worn front end parts. It will only get worse if you let them bandaid it after it gets a lot of miles on it.

Not always,my first go around with a 2012 we replaced everything in the front end including tires. The only thing that fixed it was the steering shock. Like was said before there was a camber-caster adjustment that is supposed to fix it.

Ken

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with a 2wd Dodge - All steering parts were checked out and deemed fine. Added a steering box support, same thing. Wouldn't do it with the trailer hooked up, but would do it sometimes just driving around. Out of frustration and a last ditch effort I changed front tires. The old ones looked perfect to me. The new tires fixed it. I have no idea why but it worked. It was the last suggestion by everyone.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
heard of it on a lot of them.

Never experienced it. Two shop trucks (02 and 03) and now my personal 03. All are 4wd, no lifts or leveling kits (bone stock).

Is this an issue confined to certain year models, or?? Guy used to work for me said all of them from 99 to present were affected but that source was less than reliable.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, my wife said she saw a truck on the highway do this over the weekend. Scared the crap out of her, and she said he was lucky no one was close to him. She said the wheels were wobbling so bad it looked like they were about to fall off. Driver slowed down, it stopped wobbling, then passed her going over the speed limit again. Crazy.

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post