DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Battery or Battery Charger ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery or Battery Charger ??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
So I have a 16v battery that's about 2 years old. I'm trying to figure out if the charger or the battery is bad. Digital gauge in car says 16.8 volts, but when you try to spin it over it acts like the battery is dead. Put charger on and get 17.7 volts, leave it on for 5 min and car will start, make a pass and right back to the same thing. Car also has alternator on it.

When charging the battery what voltage should be going into the battery from the 16v charger?

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Put a meter on the BATTERY POSTS, not the connectors, and try to crank it. If the voltage drops way down the battery is junk. If it doesn't you have a bad connection somewhere.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It's the battery.

16 volt batteries don't have the reserve a 12 volt does.

I had a 16 volt that did the same thing. I replaced it. New car has 2 12v and I don't plan to switch to 16v, since this car needs reserve, not starter speed.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
I've ran it for 2 years with no issues. Its just weird. I have heard that sometimes the chargers fail and wont properly charge them. That's why I was wondering what the voltage rate should be coming out of the charger.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Who’s battery and charger? I had issue with XS batteries and also had a turbostart charger get a bad connection inside.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Its an XS Battery, I have 3 chargers. 2 Turbo Start chargers and when they are connected to the car will read 17.5 volts on my in car digital gauge while charging. The XS charger will read 18.9 volts when charging. With no chargers on the battery will read 16.2 ish

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your turbostart did same thing mine was doing. I opened it up and unplugged then replugged all the wires to clean up connections and it started working good again. I have XS charger now and carry the turbostart as a spare. I believe you should be reading around 19 volts with charger connected and battery fully charged.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Why not search the net for the owners manual for the charger(s) you have? It should have the specs.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
load tester

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
our Schumacher 16V charger did the same thing , same scenario. thought the battery was acting up ..... ... took it apart at the nats at Indy and found a burned up connection , found the parts at Autozone , and fixed it ...might be worth a look inside .....

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The Autometer 16 volt maintainer has worked great for me for 9 years now.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post