DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    parachute sizing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

parachute sizing
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok going to get new smaller chutes. Well one for car and one for quick change out. I have two 12' chutes off TA cars.Looking at difference in 420 and 430 chutes and with weight of car maybe even going down to 410 chute.

Any input on sizing would be great. Have checked charts so thats covered. Anyone lknow the difference in them as far as hit and weight. While weight not only factor,if I can go one step more for very little weight penality. All who have read my stuff know I would drill holes in tires if they would still get me down track anc ut weight,so it does matter. Just not the only factor.

As for hit I am not overly concerned as long as it opens quick and will save my a$$ in a oh shyt situation.LOL Now if it hits soft,slows car quick and weighs less I wouldn't be mad and since the ones I have are about 20 years old that all should not be hard to get.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chris, just bite the bullet and buy a new chute correct for your car. It is a MAJOR safety item. JMO.

Posts: 39 | Location: so. ca. | Registered: June 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Call Stroud, they will tell you what chutes should be on the car.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a 420 on my car, my wife’s car has a smaller one probably 410. Mine opens harder and stops better. Both low 1900 pound dragsters going high 170s. I wouldn’t be afraid to stick to the larger side like you’re thinking.

I don’t think one opens faster than the other. What we’ve found is how long it’s been in the pack makes a big difference. We both use our chute once per day or weekend to make sure it’ll work if needed. If it’s been in the pack for a week or two it takes noticeably longer to open.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Depends if you run 660 or 1320. I run 660 almost always, and some of quick 8s i run i use a chute because tracks are short. When i built my new car, i put a 430 stroud on it. I wish i would have stuck with the 400. Because at 155-160 the 400 chute hits better than the 430. Even driving into the 430, it doesnt hit like i like them too.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 706 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
As old habit I always dump chute and lay it out for while and repack before a race. With TA stuff we dumped them every pass.

OI have seen them just fall out of pack and car be half way stopped when they decided to open.

I have two that more than big enough,too big actually for speed car can run. He11 to big for pack I have apparently,took us forever to get one packed last weekend and big fight to get it done.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
Depends if you run 660 or 1320. I run 660 almost always, and some of quick 8s i run i use a chute because tracks are short. When i built my new car, i put a 430 stroud on it. I wish i would have stuck with the 400. Because at 155-160 the 400 chute hits better than the 430. Even driving into the 430, it doesnt hit like i like them too.

I just did another thread on that very thing. 1/8 vs 1/4 as far as speed and sizing.