DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD Spool feature with SLE?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD Spool feature with SLE?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted
Is anyone using the Spool feature with their SLE? If so, how are you setting it up?

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
Is anyone using the Spool feature with their SLE? If so, how are you setting it up?

Wont work, spool rpm has to be set the same or higher than launch rpm.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Jeremiah - I do believe some guys are using it, or at least I have seen some videos stating they are. They are bringing the throttle up in a couple of steps...

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
I use the spook rev limit in the grid for SLE in my door car as it doesn’t have a pneumatic linkage stop. I have the SLE output from my Mega 450 wired to the Step 5 input on the Grid. Have the spool rev limit set to 2200. Stage the car normally, get on the button and go to the wood with the throttle and it’ll set at 2200 until I let go of the button and it goes on the launch rev limit of 4500. Works great, does have a little puff of black smoke when i go to the floor and it gets on the spool limit. Probably could tune it out with a smaller squirted but it hasn’t bothered me enough to change anything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 6Volt,

Cody Harger
Charger Racing

Posts: 22 | Location: West Monroe, LA | Registered: January 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

Wont work, spool rpm has to be set the same or higher than launch rpm.

Not true, it works just fine set up with spool rev limit set lower than launch limit.

Cody Harger
Charger Racing

Posts: 22 | Location: West Monroe, LA | Registered: January 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6Volt:
I use the spool rev limit in the grid for SLE in my door car as it doesn’t have a pneumatic linkage stop. I have the SLE output from my Mega 450 wired to the Step 5 input on the Grid. Have the spool rev limit set to 2200. Stage the car normally, get on the button and go to the wood with the throttle and it’ll set at 2200 until I let go of the button and it goes on the launch rev limit of 4500. Works great, does have a little puff of black smoke when i go to the floor and it gets on the spool limit. Probably could tune it out with a smaller squirted but it hasn’t bothered me enough to change anything.

Are you programming retard into Step 5 Functions when the Spool / Step 5 Rev Limiter is activated with the Delay box SLE output?

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
I use the spool rev limit in the grid for SLE in my door car as it doesn’t have a pneumatic linkage stop. I have the SLE output from my Mega 450 wired to the Step 5 input on the Grid. Have the spool rev limit set to 2200. Stage the car normally, get on the button and go to the wood with the throttle and it’ll set at 2200 until I let go of the button and it goes on the launch rev limit of 4500. Works great, does have a little puff of black smoke when i go to the floor and it gets on the spool limit. Probably could tune it out with a smaller squirted but it hasn’t bothered me enough to change anything.

Are you programming retard into Step 5 Functions when the Spool / Step 5 Rev Limiter is activated with the Delay box SLE output?

No I just leave the Step 5 Retard set to 0.

Cody Harger
Charger Racing

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

No I just leave the Step 5 Retard set to 0.

Learn something new everyday. Thank you for that!

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I have also learned that you can just use the green wire from the Grid, hook it up the SLE output from your box, set the spool rpm's at lets say 2500, when you hit the TB it goes to 2500 and then to your launch RPM just like a physical SLE.

DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have also learned that you can just use the green wire from the Grid, hook it up the SLE output from your box, set the spool rpm's at lets say 2500, when you hit the TB it goes to 2500 and then to your launch RPM just like a physical SLE.

That’s correct. The Green Wire is the Step 5 wire.

Cody Harger
Charger Racing