DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster front suspension
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster front suspension
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Same here, no room for the battery in the nose of the car. He relocated the battery further back than it already was (he removed the spot for the second battery which held my Racepak and voltage step down box).

My car was fairly easy since the radiator is out back, the battery was already further back and the fuel tank was already behind the seat.

I can't wait to run it but it's looking like I don't have much choice. Frown

Any concerns with the amount of weight you took off the front? It sounds like 17 lbs off plus moving the batteries rearward. The suspension take care of that?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bucky,

The battery was only moved back about 10 inches from it's original location. It was not in the nose on this car. The suspension takes care of the other extra weight that was needed to keep the wheels planted. The proof will be when I race it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bucky,

The battery was only moved back about 10 inches from it's original location. It was not in the nose on this car. The suspension takes care of the other extra weight that was needed to keep the wheels planted. The proof will be when I race it.

I have always thought that would be a great idea for the cars that jerk up the front tires. Might not rattle the body panels on the return road too!

I often wondered if one made the front of the chassis very able to twist, including mounting the body on sliders, and adding a bit of weight to one side in the nose, if you could always leave one front tire rolling on the ground regardless of what the other was doing.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Al how did that guy’s Page dragster work that had the front struts on it I can’t remember his name

He runs SC only with it so can't really say.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
I had a chassis concepts dragster that that was a slip joint 4 link car. All of the front uprights were sleeved and rings welded on each side of the sleeve so they couldn't slide back and forth, that was the smoothest dragster i ever had, after that i got a Cressman car and holy cow that thing would beat you to death on a rough track.
I now have a Racetech swing arm with diamond front suspension, Smooth as glass on the track and pits!

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope to report back here sometime in the future, if we ever get to race again. I had Dan at Diamond install the front suspension in my Worthy swingarm car. Many of you saw the Facebook post from Phoenix where the Capco guys welded up my cracked uprights.

According to Dan those problems are now gone. He added diagonals on the sides of the car to reinforce the frame rails since the suspension now does the work of the chassis flexing.

All I'm gonna say now is I think this is going to work great. No more jerking the wheels out of the lights and having to add a bunch of weight to stop that from happening. I'll post back if we get to start racing soon. Stay safe everyone.

I have a 2004 Dan Page 4 link car, 245" long. Great car with a bunch of runs and not one chassis crack anywhere! Two main factors to accomplish this, support the car in the middle and tie the chassis down while towing, and the way Dan frames the front of the car!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Al how did that guy’s Page dragster work that had the front struts on it I can’t remember his name

Seems like SC is where these would shine. Many will raise their two step to hit the pro tree, and then get the wheel pop out.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could make the front engine car hinge in the middle with a shock absorber like Warren Brogie did years ago on his rear engine cars. I don’t know why that wouldn’t work. Then you could stiffen or loosen the flex.

I have that dfrawn up. Might be future project. Ad for chassis flex my is pretty rigid as I built in a slip tube option .I intentionally built stiffer design to allow for increase in power later on and also be flexible for lower power combo.

I have thought about 4 link design on FED and even talked with a few. Issue would be isolating driver from suspension in case of breakage in that area.

Well all just thoughts for while and maybe a later project.So back to your regular programming.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
quote:

Seems like SC is where these would shine. Many will raise their two step to hit the pro tree, and then get the wheel pop out.

Bucky you got that backwards! But in general these days, dragsters don't have trouble hitting the tree without popping the front wheels out of the beams and still hitting the tree good.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
quote:

Bucky you got that backwards! But in general these days, dragsters don't have trouble hitting the tree without popping the front wheels out of the beams and still hitting the tree good.

You forgot old guys.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Rs72z, are you saying the uprights telescope up and down ? Or the upright can slide on the frame rail sorta like a Nelson car is built ?

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Like a nelson car.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think the front suspension is a good idea for the rear engine four link dragsters and rather surprised they are not more popular.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I think the front suspension is a good idea for the rear engine four link dragsters and rather surprised they are not more popular.

While it may be a good idea, it's competing against the countless rear suspended cars that work really well without a front suspension. No problems, no issues. So it's hard to argue that the extra expense is worth it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo