DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster front suspension
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster front suspension
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Looking for real world experience from those who run it - my Cameron car has a nasty habit of snatching a wheel at inopportune times. Looked at the Diamond setup but I would have to move everything from footbox forward to make it fit. So I'm looking at the Miller design, any feedback from those who run it? JB Cool

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I can't remember for sure, but was it "team" who used to post here more often that had a front suspended car?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6365 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a Diamond with front suspension and 4 link 2-shock rear. You can adjust the shock and get about any degree/speed of separation you like.

This car is definitely more consistent that my old car (S & W 4-link) - but it is 15" longer so not apples to apples.

And yes its way smoother on return road etc.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Any chance of seeing data posted regarding shock position in your combo Greg?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6365 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bucky - the Cameron's are just absolutely NASTY when it comes to hitting bumps. The difference between our 02 Cameron and 07 Undercover is shocking. I think the Cameron cars were just built so stiff it makes you cringe every time you hit a crack.

We've talked with someone that has a Miller Front Suspension and he said it's only useful for making the car ride smoother, he hasn't noticed a difference on track. This is a 8.90 at 190+ and 6.60s player.

Posts: 34 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
Looking for real world experience from those who run it - my Cameron car has a nasty habit of snatching a wheel at inopportune times. Looked at the Diamond setup but I would have to move everything from footbox forward to make it fit. So I'm looking at the Miller design, any feedback from those who run it? JB Cool

Although having a front end suspension would likely fix your red light issue, it's not the fix! With the average power levels that's now available today which are a good deal higher than in just the recent past, combined with older and shorter chassis, this is a common problem that is easily solved by adding some weight on the nose. No matter what combo you run, the chassis needs to be balanced! A dragster, by design does not need a suspended front end to work! That's doesn't mean they won't or don't if they have one. So why spend the extra dollars?

Posts: 2143 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Although having a front end suspension would likely fix your red light issue, it's not the fix! With the average power levels that's now available today which are a good deal higher than in just the recent past, combined with older and shorter chassis, this is a common problem that is easily solved by adding some weight on the nose. No matter what combo you run, the chassis needs to be balanced! A dragster, by design does not need a suspended front end to work! That's doesn't mean they won't or don't if they have one. So why spend the extra dollars?
Agreed the power level has taken this chassis design over the top as far as red lights but we run on some **** tracks with horrible return roads and the arch that’s built into the Cameron magnifies every tiny bump. That’s more of the reason I’m looking at suspension.

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Agreed the power level has taken this chassis design over the top as far as red lights but we run on some **** tracks with horrible return roads and the arch that’s built into the Cameron magnifies every tiny bump. That’s more of the reason I’m looking at suspension.

I think most of the dragsters folks out there can relate to the less than smooth return roads and the pleasant rides back to the pits!

Posts: 2143 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If you have ever tightened up the shocks on your typical suspended dragster to see if it had any affect on reaction times you feel those bumps big time!

A battery in the nose or some weight and some preload in the back dampens the car jerking the left front. Pre load the anti-roll bar.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I hope to report back here sometime in the future, if we ever get to race again. I had Dan at Diamond install the front suspension in my Worthy swingarm car. Many of you saw the Facebook post from Phoenix where the Capco guys welded up my cracked uprights.

According to Dan those problems are now gone. He added diagonals on the sides of the car to reinforce the frame rails since the suspension now does the work of the chassis flexing.

All I'm gonna say now is I think this is going to work great. No more jerking the wheels out of the lights and having to add a bunch of weight to stop that from happening. I'll post back if we get to start racing soon. Stay safe everyone.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Al how did that guy’s Page dragster work that had the front struts on it I can’t remember his name

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Cashflow. How much weight to you figure the front suspension added to the front?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
About 25 pounds, now take off the 42 pounds of weight bars. Net loss of 17 pounds.

When we get back out again I’ll weigh the car at Denver. I’ll post a total for sure then.

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
About 25 pounds, now take off the 42 pounds of weight bars. Net loss of 17 pounds.

When we get back out again I’ll weigh the car at Denver. I’ll post a total for sure then.

I assume there is no room for the batteries up front once the suspension is in? Or can you go in front of it?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bucky, We have the Diamond/ Adkins front suspension...No room in front of it for Battery on our Undercover front end...had ours installed 10 years ago..its possible Dan has changed design or install is chassis specific, and a Battery could fit...but not on our car

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Same here, no room for the battery in the nose of the car. He relocated the battery further back than it already was (he removed the spot for the second battery which held my Racepak and voltage step down box).

My car was fairly easy since the radiator is out back, the battery was already further back and the fuel tank was already behind the seat.

I can't wait to run it but it's looking like I don't have much choice. Frown

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had Diamond put front suspension on my s&W 225 SBC dragster several years ago. Had room for the battery up front worked really well only ran 5:30's when I had it. Now it runs 460s with a 598,The new guy was having a little bit of trouble I told him to call Dan and he got it straightened out. Dan also finished building a '67 two-door Chevy II station wagon for me a year later ,he's definitely a super guy to work with!!!

Posts: 373 | Location: Shelbyville Indiana | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Great thread. I have been wondering about doing something of this style to front of fed since it has zero suspension. Not looking at front end lift or smooth ride back,but rather less bouncy on top end. I know its not traditional but then neither am I.LOL

So far only had one bad bounce deal and that was light bulb lifting to quick.Then only handful of pass' which mean % is not in favor of smooth by much.

It would require changing to rack and pinion front,which means either move fuel tank or make a tunnel thru it. More than I want to do right now and really just looking into idea for now.

Any suggestion on how much front suspension would lessen bounce on top end?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Any suggestion on how much front suspension would lessen bounce on top end?

I doubt front suspension would help much on a front engine dragster because it is the chassis flexing in the middle that makes it hook (and bounce!)
You can see and feel the front engine dragsters flexing so I would guess front suspension would eliminate 10% or less if any because that is not where problem originates. It is in the middle of the chassis. Now if you had front and rear suspension and then MUCH stiffer chassis but then you would probably be 200-300 Lbs heavier than we are now. An still have to tune it to where it works as ours are not like any others out there.

Most 4 link rear engine dragsters have much more rigid chassis because they have rear suspension. Plus there are many of them out there so they have a good idea what works and what does not.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3972 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You could make the front engine car hinge in the middle with a shock absorber like Warren Brogie did years ago on his rear engine cars. I don’t know why that wouldn’t work. Then you could stiffen or loosen the flex.