DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer Air Lines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Air Lines
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
Since I suck at using the search function. What is everyone using for permanent air lines on their trailers? PVC, pipe, flexible line, or truck air brake line?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My Classic came with truck air lines. At least that’s what it looks like.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
You can get the 3/8 black rubber as needed in bulk.. I normally get my 3/8 & 1/2 in spools (250)
Are you thinking of pluming the trailer front to back? Not too often do i use the 1/2. But i carry it on the trucks.. You need bulkhead fittings?
Coming up through the floor?

Example of bulkhead fitting from Phillips. they all come in various sizes.

https://phillipsind.com/main/a...lkhead-fittings.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Truck air brake line is what I have in mine.

Installed outside air chucks on both sides of the trailer behind the wheel wells.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
3/8" stainless tubing

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I plumbed my trailer using PVC. I have air chucks inside at the front and back of the trailer with corresponding bulkhead fittings outside. I've carried pneumatic air tools, butterflies, ratchets, drills, etc. in the trailer for several years, never once used them. How dumb is that?

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
truck air lines ,push connect

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of SR2010
posted Hide Post
I've not plumbed a trailer but I've got my garage air plumbed with the Rapidair and really like it. https://www.rapidairproducts.c...dair-home-garage-kit

Posts: 21 | Location: Ooltewah, TN | Registered: September 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I have one of those little hot dog compressors. The plan is to mount it high on the rear curbside wall. The electric is there with a switched outlet I had Vintage install. I found a way to tuck a line into the rear corner, through the floor, and to a chuck low outside. We're talking 10-12 feet of tube here.

I wasn't sure if if truck line would work. Kinda like throttle stop stuff? Push to connect?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I plumbed my trailer using PVC. I have air chucks inside at the front and back of the trailer with corresponding bulkhead fittings outside. I've carried pneumatic air tools, butterflies, ratchets, drills, etc. in the trailer for several years, never once used them. How dumb is that?

Bob

Actually, that's not dumb at all. I carry a few extra parts and tools I never seem to need. If I take it out of the trailer, all of a sudden I need it.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Truck nylon air line with pushlock or compression fittings will work great. I've used PEX plumbing as an experiment in my shop and it's worked great for a couple of years now. I hate PVC for anything, the only place I'll install it is the garbage. It's brittle and I don't like the glueing.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:

Installed outside air chucks on both sides of the trailer behind the wheel wells.

Not being a dik but wouldn’t it be better in front of wheel wells in case a tire comes apart?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lowes used to sell a garage air line kit. I bought it for like 50 bucks and it comes with a bunch of different push in fittings. I did my trailer and it has worked awesome. I had to fabricate some brackets for the air chucks.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I did mine in 1/2” copper.

Posts: 6 | Location: Spokane WA | Registered: May 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:

Not being a dik but wouldn’t it be better in front of wheel wells in case a tire comes apart?

No problem...and it's a legit question.

They are in a 4X4 steel electrical box with a removable cover.

Have always installed backup lights at the front of the fenders on all my trailers. If the lights weren't there at the front of the fenders I most likely would have put the air chucks there.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
I have one of those little hot dog compressors. The plan is to mount it high on the rear curbside wall. The electric is there with a switched outlet I had Vintage install. I found a way to tuck a line into the rear corner, through the floor, and to a chuck low outside. We're talking 10-12 feet of tube here.

I wasn't sure if if truck line would work. Kinda like throttle stop stuff? Push to connect?

Bruce my advice is don't waste your time and money, there's a better way in 2021.

I only use my compressor maybe for the initial airing of my tires at my pit(both cars have on board air compressors) and primarily to fill a cylinder to swap out a broken valve spring.

Milwaukee 18v cordless tools now do any job I would have used an air tool for years ago and they do it faster. For example, I previously used my Ingersoll Rand air ratchet to remove the bead lock clamping rings bolts and it couldn't remove 1/3 of the bolts on one side without the compressor having to fully refill 3 times. Now I use my Milwaukee 18v cordless 1/4" impact driver/gun and it removes all the bolts on both sides easily without a recharge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
The push-connect truck airbrake stuff works great, but its not worth the effort of plumbing the whole trailer for the amount of times you use it IMO. Most mid-size compressors aren't really adequate to run air tools anyway, so I just bought a little 2-gallon for filling tires and mounted it on a small shelf high in the rear of the trailer like you describe & mounted a retractable hose reel below it. The air is easily accessible at the back door of the trailer, I can reach all of my trailer tires with the hose and it stores easily. Don't overthink it.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

Bruce my advice is don't waste your time and money, there's a better way in 2021.

I only use my compressor maybe for the initial airing of my tires at my pit(both cars have on board air compressors) and primarily to fill a cylinder to swap out a broken valve spring.

Milwaukee 18v cordless tools now do any job I would have used an air tool for years ago and they do it faster. For example, I previously used my Ingersoll Rand air ratchet to remove the bead lock clamping rings bolts and it couldn't remove 1/3 of the bolts on one side without the compressor having to fully refill 3 times. Now I use my Milwaukee 18v cordless 1/4" impact driver/gun and it removes all the bolts on both sides easily without a recharge.

Makes it tempting to save the room in the trailer and leave the compressor at home.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I stated, the primary use of my compressor is to be able to change a broken valve spring in minutes if the need arises.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

Makes it tempting to save the room in the trailer and leave the compressor at home.

I also have a 3/8 18V Milwaukee impact for the race car and have a 18V 1/2 inch impact for the truck and trailer wheels if needed.
Also Since I switched from MT to Hoosiers I don't really need a compressor anymore either Laughing Hard

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post