DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer Winch...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Winch...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted
I am in the market for a trailer winch...my car weighs 2980 lbs...I will need a remote control as well and plan to use this winch to take the car out and back in at every event...

Suggestions on weight needed, brand and where to get it?...thanks all...

p.s. I will also need a battery box...will a waterproof plastic one do?...I hope to mount this box outside the trailer..

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
You say out and back in so I guess it's an enclosed. I've been using a 2500lb ATV winch for years now, $20 at a yard sale. No remote and I have it attached to a D ring on the floor so I can remove it easily and use it on my open trailer. If I buy a new winch I'm looking at the HF 5,000lb for the heavier cable and a good cable guide. If I buy one I'll mount it on the side and get a remote for it. My battery is in the trailer in a plastic box. I think I'm going to make a door in the floor and put a battery carrier underneath.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought a new enclosed trailer...

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a Superwinch S5500 in one trailer and an S4500 in the other. Neither have ever given me a problem They both came with a remote cord and controller. The S5500 I also got a wireless remote works great. The S4500 is probably 10 years old and we always winch the cars in and out. The S5500 is about a year old.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 987 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Thanks...anyone know about this one?...

https://www.amazon.com/Champio...-Winch/dp/B00BKW444A

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yea, it comes from the country that gave us covid-19

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
WARN FTW...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a Superwinch 2500 that I bought in the early 90's.
I don't use it much because it's easier to drive the car onto my open trailer. I usually only use it someone needs a cheap tow that I never get any compensation for! Frown

It sits outside on the front of the trailer in the weather. It hasn't let me down when needed.

I never hard wired it. I have a heavy set of jumper cables that I use from the tow vehicle that I use to power it up. Used it in November 2019 and pulled a 3500+ pound car fine. That's with an open trailer with short ramps and not jacking the trailer up.

I have no idea what quality the newer ones are and where they are made these days.

My 2 cents.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
yea, it comes from the country that gave us covid-19

I know...it is not easy to find a good winch made here that does not cost a bunch...I'll keep looking however...

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
everything made here costs more but your money employs american citizens and goes back into our economy and towards our military not that communist nation that threatens not only our country but the world.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What is the go to for a hook on the end of the rope? My rope came without a hook. Anything that catches on stuff less or scratches floor less? Thought about a climbing snap hook

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
What is the go to for a hook on the end of the rope? My rope came without a hook. Anything that catches on stuff less or scratches floor less? Thought about a climbing snap hook

Here's some possible options to consider. Just learned about them, going to outfit my winches with their stuff. The winch hook they have is pretty nice. 100% USA made

https://factor55.com

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post