DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Race gas vs E85 vs alcohol.....in the 500 HP range.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Race gas vs E85 vs alcohol.....in the 500 HP range.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What would you use if your track experienced corrected altitude changes from 2000' to 3800' in the same day? I'm sure there are some of you that run race gas and with careful monitoring of air changes can get pretty close to accurate dial. How would E85 handle these extremes in corrected altitude?

Posts: 84 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Methanol

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Absolutely alcohol.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Just one more veto for Methanol , a typical night here in the desert SW could go from 6450 to 4200 and the only reason to change the dial is to hold some....LOL

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
I’ve ran all 3 on the same combo. E85 is good, methanol is better.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Methanol continues to gain acceptance as a valid race fuel. Most of the old wives tales that originally tagged along with methanol have proven to be non-issues.

After 6 seasons of experience racing with methanol, I have learned the does and don'ts. Go for it, you will be rewarded with good performance.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by novaX522:
I’ve ran all 3 on the same combo. E85 is good, methanol is better.

Same here. I'd probably still be running E85 if it were still available at the pump around here. Best you can find these days is E70. I got tired of constantly hunting for it, mixing it, and testing it. Switched to methanol and won't be going back to gas or E85 any time soon(ever).

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
Methanol here for 30 years. You have to change how you think about engine temp though. More heat= better vaporization=more power AND consistency. I have 2 block heaters on each car, and 180 thermostats. Leave at 160, lose .05. I'd rather leave too hot than too cold. I've left at 200 with very little ET change noted. Too rich is better than too lean. You can burn pistons if you try to see where the kill zone is!
Cold engines milk the oil, allows corrosion of anything ferrous in the engine.

That's my experience. Your results may vary....

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 793 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you AND thank America.

Posts: 84 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post