Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    65-67 BBC starter issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

65-67 BBC starter issues
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Double M Racing
posted
Anyone ever experience any issues getting a starter to mount up correctly on one of these ? Apparently they were machined differently as to where typical shimmimg procedures do not apply !

Posts: 169 | Location: LV | Registered: February 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Yup, they are not a one size fit all thing despite what we would think and the rebuilders want us to think. Close but not quite.

Been there after much screwing around shimming this, machining that.

My cure was to get deep into the books and force the counter person to get a BBC starter for a powerglide from the earliest BB listed.
There is just enough difference in the nose as you found to make it aggravating. It will have a cast iron nose on the one you find.

Keep looking for a part number that is different than is normally listed. Then dig and see if you can find more info on it. Call the mfg is needed.

When I went through this I could still buy a new one from GM. As expected the parts guys were not even aware of this. IT is one of those things that just quietly got lost in the mist of history.

IF that fails the new mini starters that GM uses on the trucks, vettes etc has worked for me.

Note, I said GM, not the aftermarket reworked Japanese starter. The GM has a nose support on it and the gear will extend far enough to engage the complete flywheel gear width, not 1/2 to 3/4 the way across.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 183 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks ! Been trying to get the reworked little Hitachi one to work for a while now. Managed to break a bolt off last week, getting tired of this. All the late model GM minis are for the smaller flex plate? Or did they still use the larger one ?

Posts: 169 | Location: LV | Registered: February 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Try Napa # 246-1091 for a 66 chevelle 396, it has the cast nose also.

Posts: 387 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double M Racing:
Thanks ! Been trying to get the reworked little Hitachi one to work for a while now. Managed to break a bolt off last week, getting tired of this. All the late model GM minis are for the smaller flex plate? Or did they still use the larger one ?

I have mine on the larger flexplate. I think they are available either way.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 183 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Double M, GM part number 1876552 should fix your problem unless you have a aftermarket block.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13220 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike, is that a full size starter or a mini ?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Full size.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13220 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
Late model PMGR GM starter spins the 565 in my Cole just fine with a Meziere 168 tooth billet wheel.

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6

Posts: 18 | Location: Castro Valley, CA | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Start...p2060353.m1438.l2649

I use this mini starter which fits 8.1L, you just have to be sure to use the correct bolts which are shorter than the big starters use. It works with 168 tooth flywheels. We've use it on big blocks and big inch small blocks.

Posts: 469 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Looks like the one I am trying to get to work now.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Full size.
Probably going to be affected by heat soak then ?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
Yup, they are not a one size fit all thing despite what we would think and the rebuilders want us to think. Close but not quite.

Been there after much screwing around shimming this, machining that.

My cure was to get deep into the books and force the counter person to get a BBC starter for a powerglide from the earliest BB listed.
There is just enough difference in the nose as you found to make it aggravating. It will have a cast iron nose on the one you find.

Keep looking for a part number that is different than is normally listed. Then dig and see if you can find more info on it. Call the mfg is needed.

When I went through this I could still buy a new one from GM. As expected the parts guys were not even aware of this. IT is one of those things that just quietly got lost in the mist of history.

IF that fails the new mini starters that GM uses on the trucks, vettes etc has worked for me.

Note, I said GM, not the aftermarket reworked Japanese starter. The GM has a nose support on it and the gear will extend far enough to engage the complete flywheel gear width, not 1/2 to 3/4 the way across.
Do you have a part number for the mini, or are they all the same for everything... you know like the old ones were ! Big Grin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Part number 19302919 is a GM light starter for big or small block with 168 tooth flexplate.

The part number I gave you earlier would work just fine if you use a ford solenoid and wire as suggested on the Meziere website. You need a lot of amps and if you wire like they suggest it will spin your motor just fine

L8R, Mike

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Part number 19302919 is a GM light starter for big or small block with 168 tooth flexplate.

The part number I gave you earlier would work just fine if you use a ford solenoid and wire as suggested on the Meziere website. You need a lot of amps and if you wire like they suggest it will spin your motor just fine
Thanks again Mike !