DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Spindle Conversion Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spindle Conversion Question
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted
I am currently building a 49 Anglia that was my Gpa's car and has been torn apart since 1993. It has lived its life as a racecar and I'm turning it into a street cruiser. I am wanting to put a rotor or hub adapter on the front so I can use a wheel with a normal bolt pattern instead of using the spindle mount wheel. The car has a straight axle with strange/dragster spindles on it currently. The car DOES NOT have front brakes and don't plan on adding them yet. I've looked at Speedway Motor and see they have all kinds of conversion spindles but I'm struggling with understanding which type will work with my straight axle.

Is it possible to get an S10 or something similar rotor and bearings and slide them on or do I need to change the spindle all together?

Posts: 70 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Autofab Race Cars can make you a 4 piston front brake kit that will fit your spindle mount wheels. They have been making these for many years.

As far as the hub adapter to go from spindle mount to standard, I do not know of anything you can use.

What wheels did you want to use?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 736 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Probably easier to look at speedway and try to find a complete axle that would fit

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Measure the O.D. of the spindle where the outer bearing would ride. If it’s 1/2” and I think Anglia’s are, get rid of those spindles. They can break.

My Vega had an A-Arm front end that was all Strange engineering with a spindle that size pressed into a knuckle they made. It had spot disc brakes and was nothing but trouble

The spindle broke after I sold the car and I learned at least one other guy with a Vega and the same Strang built stuff broke a spindle too. He broke out on the track, my ex car broke on the trailer!

They made an upgraded spindle that was 3/4” O.D. and used a larger bearing.

That front end was nothing but grief and I was going to have struts installed and the next owner did I believe.

Dragsters have very little weight up front and those little spindles are fine and no brakes to wrestle with either

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post