DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    About rusty reluctors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About rusty reluctors
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted
So I have an older billet MSD distributor on my dragster. It's down on top end power significantly, and I've done all the normal checks. It seems ignition related, but on alcohol you don't foul plugs.
Checking the distributor, I found the reluctor quite rusty, with some small rust particles evident on the pickup too. MSD no longer sells the black iron type reluctor. The replacement is SS. Has anyone encountered this issue and solved the problem with an upgraded stainless reluctor??

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A good cleaning to get oil off and light coat of clear from a rattle can on mine has held up well and still looks new after 4 years.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Are you asking if the rusty reluctor could be part of your down on power problem?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
Yes, the racepak overlays don't show an obvious malfunction, but they do have unusual changes in rate of change that lead me to believe that the ignition is breaking down. I'm using basic 7AL-2 and pro power coil, which I have swapped out with my spares. No change with that move. Plug wires ohm good, and I ran my msd checker through each wire. They were good.

I seem to remember this question a LONG time ago, but don't remember the details.

RIP

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try taking a piece of emery cloth and clean rust or if you have access to a glass bead cabinet

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
I ordered a new one from MSD. The replacement part is now stainless, only 25$.

I have OCD about rust anyway Razz

RIP

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Are you saying you didn't change plugs? Cause yes on alky they will definitely ago away...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post