DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    RV/Trailer battery ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RV/Trailer battery ?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I have 2 Interstate MTP-27 batteries in my trailer.
One has started to boil during the charge cycle and doesn't hold a charge. Like at all...drops to zero 30 minutes after unplugging the charger.
Dead I'm sure...
My question is how closely would a replacement battery have to match the good one? The reason I ask is Interstate batteries are kinda hard to find. When I had my shop their trucks just delivered them to me. But now, I can't find them "sitting on the shelf" at the parts stores so I'm changing brands.
I would really like get a deep cycle or AGM and change the 2nd one over also when it's time comes. But I'm pretty sure that they would not be happy together.

Advise me please....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
My rule of thumb is never replace a bad battery with a new battery that is attached to an old one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
^^^^this^^^^

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
So, this is a 12 volt system I assume? If so, two 6 volt deep cycle golf car batteries wired in series will get you going.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
My rule of thumb is never replace a bad battery with a new battery that is attached to an old one.

Yeah, that's a smart rule of thumb Roger. I'll just replace them both with matching AGM's..
I can always use the still good one for the tractor or something..

Thanks for the bit of common sense.. Smile

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Dave.

I buy RV “House” batteries at WalMart and replace them every two years, before the warranty runs out. They never question the exchange and I get new batteries before they die, I tell them they will not hold a charge.

The battery used to start the engine normally last at least three years. This is the most cost effective method for me and the least cause for concern.

Bob

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Is that a scam? Sorry but taking advantage of a warrantee like that is the reason we pay more.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
At two years in service they won't hold a charge, they sell the batteries with that warranty so I hold them to their sales pitch. Not a scam, just holding them to their word.

The other battery I pay full boat for every three years since the warranty ran out at two.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I needed new batteries for my motorhome last year and read that Walmart batteries are made by the same people that make Interstates.

Walmart has a better warrantee on the same battery. 2 years full replacement.....Interstate is 1 year.

My place of work is a very large user of Interstate batteries and it didn't do me much good when one of them died in my pickup. I paid nearly full price to replace 2 more batteries that were maybe 2-3 years old...Interstates.

I put Interstates in my Motorhome but only because the local Walmart did not have 2 fresly dated batteries in the size I
needed....

On a side note I have 2 batteries in my dragster and they are not the same due to size constraints....and have not been a problem......One Redtop Optima and an XS in the nose....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
Walmart batterys in everything I own, most last 5 to 7 years, got easy warranty service when needed

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
If you have the room, instead of the 27 series. Size it up and see if the trays will accept 31 series batteries.. Stud batteries?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
http://www.batteriesinaflash.c...d-lead-acid-6v-232ah

Designed to be deep cycled.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
AC Delco Voyager, also available with AGM technology, none better

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
A lot of Walmart batteries are made in Saudi Arabia.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bob the way I read it was you just return them every two years before warrantee runs out and tell them they don’t hold a charge, you didn’t actually say it was bad. Sorry if I misread that.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Bob the way I read it was you just return them every two years before warrantee runs out and tell them they don’t hold a charge, you didn’t actually say it was bad. Sorry if I misread that.

Me too

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned this coach for about 17 years, paid for and replaced the house batteries many times. I decided to keep the last receipt and see if they would either Pro-rate or flat out replace the batteries, they elected the “no charge” option.

Bob

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Kinda like stealing huh ?

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
NO stealing would be you physically took it the first time with out buying it. Company warranty's without checking their own product?

Most are too busy or too lazy to bring it back for warranty, or the company was too lazy or busy to check their own product for proper operation/function or defect...

Call summit and tell them your XS battery is toast...they ship you another no questions asked
..as me how I know...

Just telling real world experiences...

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Went to Costco and bought 2 Interstate Marine/deep cycle 800/1000amp batteries for $80 ea just now. Total with tax was $175 which I feel is pretty good for that level of battery.

BUT...ask me again in a few years...lol

Dave

F J B