DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Too beadlock or not to beadlock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too beadlock or not to beadlock
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted
I know I Don't need them,but I love the look and changing tires is wayyy easier. Only thing I am doing this winter is changing fluids and tires... The expense isn't an issue. Did go with hoosier since micky discontinued the tire i was using. Thought?

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Do it!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I think you answered your own question when you said expense wasn't an issue since that is the only drawback to beadlocks

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you like your present wheels but want beadlocks consider having them converted. Less expensive than new wheels and was my choice for the 30 yr old Bogarts that I still liked.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I might be in the minority but I'd rather mount tires on regular wheels over beadlocks.

As said previous converting wheels are a good option. Dewzen did a great job on mine.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 462 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had my Weld 2.0's beadlocked by Dewzen
Very nice work and fast and reasonable

Made zero difference and made mounting the wheels on the car or balancing them like trying to give a cat a bath.....!!

By myself, wrestling with them was abusive to my old self.....LOL

Mounting and dismounting tires on std rims was not a big problem and much easier handling the rims with mounted tires on them...

They do look good on any car.....and are safer on real fast cars...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
My welds were done by OMP and the rims are lighter than a factory weld double bead lock rim.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
If you like your present wheels but want beadlocks consider having them converted. Less expensive than new wheels and was my choice for the 30 yr old Bogarts that I still liked.

Macfab is 4 hour ride.. I will be converting the wheels I have

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
a buddy had his converted by neil & parks. They did a nice job on them and reasonable.

Some mig weld the rings on and need the wheel sealed with rtv on the inside, or so i heard.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Too bad champion beadlocks are no longer in existence.

They were pioneers in the art of beadlocks.

I sent mine all the way to Cali, it was worth it.

Excellent

They'd give ya a free education on beadlocks too.

Don't take the cheapest route whatever you do.

Champion understood Cause and Effect

They ain't for looks.

I hope someone hired that gal that ran the show at champion, she knew what she was doing.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Brian, you won't be disappointed with the beadlocks over a standard wheel.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
On the right wheel, with the right approach, for the right tire, they're bad azz. I agree.

I think it's funny some say beadlocks are slow.

That's just cause and effect though, like anything else.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Macfab, done a few for me. Also Neil and Parks if you wan tthe lightest option does a great job. Weld will also do their wheels.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Nice little mounting fixture you can do at home.
Used it for mounting liners. Saves the back too.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/dDCChk7

Macfab does very nice work and great customer service. This is 1 of the sets they have converted for me.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:Macfab is 4 hour ride.. I will be converting the wheels I have

I went to MacFabs website today, and not only do their conversion offerings look great so does the pricing. Post up some finished pics of your wheels when you get them installed.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The last ones Macfab did for me. Have a black ring and a polished ring.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I watched the Stevie Fast & Lyle Barnett show on Ytube yesterday. Lyle is now owner or part owner of MacFab. I would think he will keep Tommy Kirk's vision going forward.

The show originally aired about 3 weeks ago but said quick turnaround times.

Show was pretty entertaining.

Years ago, they would be at events and convert on site but not sure if that is available currently.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
I know I Don't need them,but I love the look and changing tires is wayyy easier. Only thing I am doing this winter is changing fluids and tires... The expense isn't an issue. Did go with hoosier since micky discontinued the tire i was using. Thought?
What size 15” or 16”…

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Ive used Mac-Fab for beadlocks for 10 years now. They do a great job.

This pair is probably my 4th set from them.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post