DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster oil pan recommendation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster oil pan recommendation
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am in need of a new pan for my dragster. It’s a 632 Chevy engine. What are you dragster guys using for pans. There are so many out there from a few hundred dollars to $1000 dollars. Any help will be appreciated.

Bob

Posts: 37 | Location: Pittsburgh, pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I use the 21049 Moroso on the 632 with the billet pump. Even with this pan even tho it accepts a
4.75 This pan has to be fitted slightly with the tray. I had to do a little mods with a ballpean lol. Spin it over 2 times with no gasket while you are having a beer and listen.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
We use the Moroso 20485 - $600 racer deal at JEGS. Aluminum Pan and Notched for an alternator.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
We use the Moroso 20485 - $600 racer deal at JEGS. Aluminum Pan and Notched for an alternator.

same here.. pan works great with my 632

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a custom pan made to help control the oil during the shut down. I have taken it off and put a dry sump system. I would be interested in selling it along with the Moroso billet pumpkins. I can’t remember the company I got the pan from but it is a three step pan. It has a billet rail so you only use silicone instead of a gasket. I can get you pics if you are interested. It worked really well.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Dan Olson oil pans for me

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
SC718,

Price? You can PM me if you would rather not post it here.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

They make nice pans. How many quarts do you run? I feel like last time I looked they were all 10 quarts.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine is a Dan Olsen as well.

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Dan Olsen with a billet pump.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
olsen on one,my favorite.morroso on the other

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I use the 21049 Moroso on the 632 with the billet pump.

This is the combo in my 632 as well.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I ran a Jeff Johnston's billet fab pan before I went to dry sump..Great pan. Dry sump pan is one of his as well..

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Again I’ll ask - how much oil are you guys running in the Olsen pans the the Johnston too? I’ve seen they make nice stuff but no way I’m carrying 10-12 quarts in my dragsters. Makes it harder to get the oil hot and I’m tighter than bark on a tree. Two of my engines have Moroso 21049, we run 7 quarts plus filter. Other one has an aluminum Stef’s that takes 6.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Again I’ll ask - how much oil are you guys running in the Olsen pans the the Johnston too? I’ve seen they make nice stuff but no way I’m carrying 10-12 quarts in my dragsters. Makes it harder to get the oil hot and I’m tighter than bark on a tree. Two of my engines have Moroso 21049, we run 7 quarts plus filter. Other one has an aluminum Stef’s that takes 6.

The billet fab pan tells you to remove the plug on the side of the pan, fill it to the bottom of the plug, and that is the volume you should use. I ran 8 quarts total in mine, never an issue.

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
for me 8 total in moroso and not sure in olsen but i think it was 8

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have also ran some of the jeff johnston pans i do not reccomend them.12 plus quarts of oil,and they all cracked behind the rear panrail plus zero pressure in shutdown

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
i have also ran some of the jeff johnston pans i do not reccomend them.12 plus quarts of oil,and they all cracked behind the rear panrail plus zero pressure in shutdown

I didn't have that issue, and only ran 8. 12 is too much in a wet sump....

Mark Goulette

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
quote:

They make nice pans. How many quarts do you run? I feel like last time I looked they were all 10 quarts.

I run 11, 11.5 its but also have a remote filter and 2 long -12 lines to get there so I felt it needed more oil...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run 8 in my Dan Olsen pan

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post