DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster oil pan recommendation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster oil pan recommendation
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Incoming PM.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Pulled the distributor out, teeth on the drive gear were perfect. New distributor (with 2 new "O" rings) going in tomorrow along with a new 22163 Moroso billet (same as the one before). Changed from 60W to 20W50 trying to lower the pressure to a reasonable range, (not 125). Tried the old pan, same results, problem not the pan.

NOTE:
When you pre-prime the engine (old distributor with no drive gear teeth) you have to hold the tool in place (both hands and your chest) or it will push upward enough to disengage the oil pump intermediate shaft. Never had that happen before.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming this is a very strange problem.

Bob

This is what happened to my engine. I’d be looking for damage on the cam gear.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread but..

How much oil in a 21049 pan with a std length filter !

Specs say 6 plus the filter...so to me this means 7.....

I run that pan with the Moroso wing style pump and an Accusump…..but may try running without the Accusump as a test....I have been seeing odd/slow response pressure readings on the Accusump gauge.....maybe it just needs cleaning out but it has done this before and if the oil pan is way overfull......well that's no good....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I just run 6 total. 75 cold.55 hot. XPR 20/50

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I filled mine with water prior to sending it to the builder. 6 and a half took it to the bottom of the tray with the dividers. I would say 8 while running would be good.

Bob

Posts: 37 | Location: Pittsburgh, pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rich the specs for the 21049 say 6 qts with standard volume oil pump, 7 qts with high volume. We run the moroso billet HV pump on everything after breaking a pickup off a standard one a few years back. We run 7 qts plus a full Wix 51061R filter.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I got my 21049 Pan from R&M, they told me 8-8.5 qrts including the filter.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt in my military mind as my buddy used to say that my 3 qt Accusump was either sticking or the valve was not working as it should.

Mostly my fault for not taking it totally apart for too long. a mess inside.

I've been using Brad-Penn or Penn Grade for years. It leaves a very dark residue, like a Moly paste, on the bottom of the pan and that same gunk was in the Accusump. My bad for not servicing that thing for too long....

I generally put 9-1/2 to 10 quarts in the engine on an oil change with the Accusump. Never ever had oil pressure issues on the gauge in the car but the gauge on the Accusump sometimes not acting right....
Often had issues right after an oil change in the past..

Accusump is shelved...…off the car entirely....

R-M does list 8qts on engines they build using the 21049 pan and Moroso pump …..

I also switched to VR-1....Probably start with 7 to 7-1/2 in my freshly built 584....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEMO963:
I got my 21049 Pan from R&M, they told me 8-8.5 qrts including the filter.

DOes that pan have a tray baffle plate mounted inside?

I have found that the pans with a screen allow oil to return back to the sump faster than those with a baffle plate that is bolted in the pan. My older pan with a screen needed 7 quarts, during a freshen up, saw the screen was cracked, called Scott at Moroso, he said to replace it with a baffle plate. Added that to my old pan, following season it needed 8 quarts minimum to maintain OP during a 1/4 mile run.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My pan is a 21049 and it has a louvered tray, not a screen.

I bought it from R-M as a wet sump package with a pump and hardware and gasket.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I always ran 8qts with the 21049 and shielded Moroso pump from RM, never had any low pressure issues in the shut down

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It has a louvered plate with separators at each crank throw about 1.5 inches high.

Posts: 37 | Location: Pittsburgh, pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SX 66:
It has a louvered plate with separators at each crank throw about 1.5 inches high.

Yes it is and it slows the rate of oil return to the sump a good deal more than a screen. As I said I could run 7 with a screen and needed 8 with louvered plate. Also I so no difference in overall performance between the two. I run a 632 motor so oil control/windage in this size motor would be impacted more than a small stroked motor.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post