Bracket Talk
wheelbase question

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/7907012186

June 08, 2018, 08:48 AM
joekool
wheelbase question
talking with friends and we could not decide if wheelbase should be considered when building a bracket car. Does the placement of the tires on the starting line come into play ? I know the dragster are way back there is there any advantage by trying to get the slicks closer to the start line ? Better more consistent rubber base maybe? Thanks from the old guy.
June 08, 2018, 06:00 PM
Mike Nitzsche
Here's what I consider when building a car. Wheelbase seems to have an effect on reaction times like in a Pro tree situation. Obviously a longer wheelbase will drive better. I also consider crank centerline and engine placement.
June 08, 2018, 09:59 PM
Wooley
The only time I have seen wheelbase cause any starting line issues was at the N.M.R.A. races that I worked as a starter. All the cars (99%) were Fox bodies. The track would develop bald spots in both lanes at the same place. All the cars wheelbase was the same, so we had to treat the same spot in each lane all day.
June 09, 2018, 12:31 AM
Larry Woodfin
Joe,

thoughts; the performance level of the bracket car, engine power, and placement, car weight, chassis design, tire size, trans, converter are all considerations if you want to seak the ultimate package.

Yet, in many cases, we build and race a body style we like. With today's technology in tires and converters and shocks the successful package has a relatively wide range. Consider your local bracket program and notice the wide range of winning cars.

In my experience, consistent driving plus a well-prepared car will produce a good share of win lights.

Larry Woodfin

June 09, 2018, 10:34 AM
joekool
thanks fellas
June 09, 2018, 12:01 PM
Curly1
And how fast do you want to go? If you are going to be running 4's in the 1/8 mile then your only good choice is a dragster. Slower than that your options open up.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion