DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What weight oil and brand do you use in roller motor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What weight oil and brand do you use in roller motor
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I use 10-30 in mine...any brand on sale at the time...496 pump gas motor...oh yeah, Wix filter, fwiw...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One other thing I am doing now is I quit using the Wix Racing filters. They are fairly small and not designed to catch the really small stuff. So I am using a dual filter set up with TWO of the large 1-3/4 quart tall truck filters. That filters all of the small particles out with little or no resistance. The filters are in parallel and not in a series so it only has to go through one filter.

Someone here was running oil tests and their oil came back cleaner when using the street type oil filters over racing type.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Schaeffers Micron-Moly 40wt.
Engineered for alcohol fuels. We use an inside the oil pan heater element now and are adding a heat wrap for the accusump for next year.

With correct clearances and warming the entire engine up to get oil temps over 160 before running it under load...we have near perfect oil samples for two seasons with this oil.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
One other thing I am doing now is I quit using the Wix Racing filters. They are fairly small and not designed to catch the really small stuff. So I am using a dual filter set up with TWO of the large 1-3/4 quart tall truck filters. That filters all of the small particles out with little or no resistance. The filters are in parallel and not in a series so it only has to go through one filter.

Someone here was running oil tests and their oil came back cleaner when using the street type oil filters over racing type.

Bruce, which Wix filter were you using before?
They do make a 1.5 Qt filter, (equivalent to the AC Delco PF2232 truck filter). They have a standard (non-racing) version, P/N 51794. Just add an "R" suffix for the race version. Or you can get the NAPA Gold "house brand" (which is made by Wix), just drop the leading "5" off the P/N.
Yes, the race filters do let the oil get "dirty" quicker, the micron rating is larger, to ensure good oil flow. Their engineers conducted a lot of studies to determine what size particles could be allowed to pass through a filter, and still be small enough to not cause engine damage or accelerated wear. But they do recommend not using the R filters on street vehicles, or if you do, to change your oil more frequently.
I use the tall Non-Race filter for initial run-in, (I want to catch ALL of the particulates I can on a fresh build), same filter for next fill to complete the break-in process, and then change to the 1.5 qt race filter.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

Bruce, which Wix filter were you using before?
They do make a 1.5 Qt filter, (equivalent to the AC Delco PF2232 truck filter). They have a standard (non-racing) version, P/N 51794. Just add an "R" suffix for the race version. Or you can get the NAPA Gold "house brand" (which is made by Wix), just drop the leading "5" off the P/N.
Yes, the race filters do let the oil get "dirty" quicker, the micron rating is larger, to ensure good oil flow. Their engineers conducted a lot of studies to determine what size particles could be allowed to pass through a filter, and still be small enough to not cause engine damage or accelerated wear. But they do recommend not using the R filters on street vehicles, or if you do, to change your oil more frequently.
I use the tall Non-Race filter for initial run-in, (I want to catch ALL of the particulates I can on a fresh build), same filter for next fill to complete the break-in process, and then change to the 1.5 qt race filter.

I was using the Wix 51061R racing oil filter. Nothing wrong with it but I feel more comfortable with the dual large truck filters now.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
I use 10-30 in mine...any brand on sale at the time...496 pump gas motor...oh yeah, Wix filter, fwiw...

p.s. I should have said I use the Wix street filter not the racing model...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post