DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mopar guys, torqueflite question!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mopar guys, torqueflite question!
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Have a good friend with a 68 Cuda. This will be a race only deal. He accidentally cracked the case, not racing it, I think he actually dropped it.

Anyway, is there a stronger torqueflite case, like a truck case? Don’t suggest a powerglide either, he’s a pretty die hard Mopar guy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does JW make a Ultrabell for them have saved a few broken tranny with them

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
All the OE cases are the same, but I do believe A&A sells an SFI case ($$$). I'd just tell him to find a similar year replacement and try not to drop it.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
He told me that he heard the truck cases were stronger but he wasn't sure and wanted me to ask some Mopar guys!

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
The main case in the trucks are the same. The difference is in the tail housing/output shaft.JW does make ultrabells if that would fix the issue.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As was said the truck cases are the same as cars. The only ones I am not sure of is the motorohomes. Lots of 440's were put in motorhomes.

Had a engine come apart in the burnout box and bent the tailshaft in our Polara. Did not hurt the case or tailshaft.

Those OEM cases are pretty strong in a non transbrake application. Have seen transbrakes cause lots of those transmissions to come apart in more pieces than you can count.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I talked to him again and it’s cracked on the bottom of the bellhousing. I think a JW bell will fix everything. Thanks for the help guys!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How far back is the crack from the front edge of case if it's not cracked to far back he could cut the crack out in away to allow him to have a little extra room to install converter bolts all A&A race cases are done this way. hope this helps

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
As was said the truck cases are the same as cars. The only ones I am not sure of is the motorohomes. Lots of 440's were put in motorhomes.

Had a engine come apart in the burnout box and bent the tailshaft in our Polara. Did not hurt the case or tailshaft.

Those OEM cases are pretty strong in a non transbrake application. Have seen transbrakes cause lots of those transmissions to come apart in more pieces than you can count.

Simple question because I am confused. In one sentence you say motor came apart during burnout and bent the tail shaft then next sentence says didn’t hurt the tail shaft. Isn’t a bent tail shaft hurt?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think he meant to say driveshaft was not hurt.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Motorhomes tailshafts sometimes had a drum brake, along with the additional 4 planetary gears just like the HiPo 440s and Hemis. Main cases were the same until the a500 and a518 ODs came out, but they were only for small blocks.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that.

What I meant to say is that it bent the shaft but did not hurt the tailshaft housing or the main case.

The driveline survived but I did put new U-Joints in it as it took a beating.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post