DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Best engine block paint?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best engine block paint?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of popper
posted
Need to clean and repaint my engine block in my street car. Old paint is flaking off due to headgaskets seeping and the paint is flaking off.
What is a good engine paint that any of you have had good luck with?
And any what would you suggest as far as removing all the old flaky paint and for block prep? Would you suggest removing the heads, resealing and then painting the block?
I know these are some simple questions but I'm just looking for some good imput.

Thank you in advance
popper
John Lynch

Posts: 229 | Location: Kingston, Illinois | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have gotten good life out of duplicolor in the rattle cans. My stuff is not a show car however, just a braket, 10.90, 9.90 beater.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Getting the engine cleaned off real well is gonna be a challenge with it in the car, (if that is your plan). Wire brush/wheel is great for removing flaking paint. After that, I like to wipe things down with blue paper shop towels and lacquer thinner. Then my final prep step is Brakleen. The regular chlorinated stuff, (which is non-flammable). The Non-Chlorinated variety IS flammable, so be super careful if you use it.
Best engine paint I ever found was Martin-Senour, (Napa used to sell it, not sure if they still do). After years of abuse, even a thorough hot-tanking session doesn't remove but about half of it.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SonnyJames
posted Hide Post
Best paint is shoot it with vari prime (etch) then base it, clear it!

Posts: 680 | Location: Consistently researching inconsistencies | Registered: September 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Been using this with good results....

https://www.jegs.com/p/VHT/VHT...amel/749305/10002/-1

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best engine paint I ever found was Martin-Senour, (Napa used to sell it, not sure if they still do). After years of abuse, even a thorough hot-tanking session doesn't remove but about half of it.

Martin-Senour is the house brand of NAPA. You won't find that trade name anywhere else. I don't know who actually manufactures and packages it for NAPA. Also, the old disclaimer "past performance is no guarantee of future results" might be applicable here. With the green movement and regulatory warriors and the mandated reductions in VOC, and other constituents, you can bet the formula has changed significantly. However M-S is a good brand and is likely still competitive in current market. What's that? Johnny Bench says Krylon, no runs, no drips, no errors. BlahBlah

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post