DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Weird Grid Issue that might not be Grid Issue...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird Grid Issue that might not be Grid Issue...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I have the V-net cable and connected it. No comm. I've been through the setup and received more information to help. No bueno. I need to set up an appointment with Greg in the evening to help me. I never have time/access to work on the car during normal business hours.

Huge thanks to all that have commented and offered advice. I'll update as I have time to work on the car. Next race might be a month out. It's too hot to run 2 jrs and my car too! lol.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea, Matt the USM can pick up a ground trigger event.

Call or email to setup an after hours time.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Been busy with work and working on jr dragsters.

Installed the new shifter solenoid. It's nice!

Yellow wire issue...
For some unknown reason the yellow shift light wire is not working. It will work during the "test ignition on" function (if I turn it on) but will not give a ground signal to shift when the rpm setpoint is met. During my testing it did work once but only once. I have brown/white tied to the yellow so it's obviously been shifting on the brown white wire (output switch).

I suspect the yellow wire malfunctioning is what causes the random shift at the hit. I unhooked it for now.

Any idea why the yellow shift light wire would not be working? Can it be repaired?

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If the Shift Light output works and moves the shifter with the “Power-ON Test” feature activated, then the solution to your Shift Light not activating during a run is very likely in the Data Acquisition of the failed to shift run.

If you and using the Shift Light Low feature to shift with, it will only active when the “Time From Launch Timer” is NOT active. Once the TFLT starts, Shift Light Low/High is disabled and Shift Light outputs on the First Gear programming.

AND, the Output Switch will only activate when the “Time From Launch Timer” is activated. If TFLT is Not running, Output Switch is OFF.

Posts: 2433 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I don't understand.

For testing I changed the shift light low to 3000 rpm.

Yellow wire only connected to shifter relay. Power on test active. Ignition on results in shifter firing. Start engine and rev above 3,000 rpm. Shifter does not fire.

Connect brown/wht wire only to shifter relay. Set output switch on to 3,000 rpm. Start engine and rev above 3,000 rpm and shifter fires.

TFLT is wired to my transbrake button. I'm not currently using the transbrake, I went back to footbraking. So, this is telling me the TFLT trigger wire is getting an unintended activation somehow?

Matt Ward

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
I don't understand.

For testing I changed the shift light low to 3000 rpm.

Yellow wire only connected to shifter relay. Power on test active. Ignition on results in shifter firing. Start engine and rev above 3,000 rpm. Shifter does not fire.

Connect brown/wht wire only to shifter relay. Set output switch on to 3,000 rpm. Start engine and rev above 3,000 rpm and shifter fires.

TFLT is wired to my transbrake button. I'm not currently using the transbrake, I went back to footbraking. So, this is telling me the TFLT trigger wire is getting an unintended activation somehow?

Makes perfect sense. The only way the Output Switch functions is when TFLT is running. This requires the Launch input to be cycled. If TFLT running, Shift Light LOW DE-ACTIVATED.

If you look at my post on the bottom of page 1 of this thread, select the TFLT channel in this feature and you can monitor when it is active to help troubleshoot this problem.

Posts: 2433 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Output switch set 2,200 rpm. TFLT not running and output switch working:

Shift light low does not work if TFLT is inactive, active, or post 30 seconds time out.

I’m missing something.

Thanks for trying to help this remedial racer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brktracer,

Matt Ward

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^ Attach to Grid. Go to Help / About. What is the SW x.x.x version number?

Have you tried removing the Launch wire from TB for testing?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with a spring shifter and it turned out to be a bad ground. It would hold the spring but just the right vibration would cause it to break ground. I found it by accident when I was adjusting my shift linkage.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
The more electronics you add the more troubles you might experience Frown

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Footloose - reading all this makes me want to quit racing. A 6AL or 7AL2, delay box and some way to fire the shifter 30 years ago sure was simple.

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
AMEN Smile Just need HEI distributor tach. Temp gauge. oil pressure. Where a driver showed his or her skills

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Agree. It's a little ridiculous actually.

I got fed up and ordered a new Grid. It's going in for this coming weekend.

Someone please remind me why I "upgraded"?

I basically use none of Grid's features...

Matt Ward

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Shane:
A 6AL or 7AL2, DELAY BOX and some way to fire the shifter 30 years ago sure was simple.

Agreed !!! An RTD7 or CO2. Absolute Best !!

Not any of this Bump down/ up, hit 2 or 3 times, lock out, dual 4 stage timers, rpm outputs, SLR, lighted display…….. did I leave anything out ????????

I had one of these ^^^^ recently with less than 200 runs, let the car go on the second yellow. Lucky for me it was first round, the buy back was only $250, and another racer had the exact same delay box that he lent me so I could continue.