DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange rear rotors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange rear rotors
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a race tech dragster and I run the standard rear rotor. I normally install new rotors each year. I am looking at the 2 piece rotor strange offers. 2 questions.

1- do they last at least 1 year longer than the standard rotor?

2- can you buy just the rotor upon replacement.

Thanks for the input.

Posts: 204 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
1 maybe
2 no

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
The MW rotors on my car are 10 years old, never warped or cracked. Still going strong.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tried the 2 piece on my dragster & had no luck, went back to the 1 piece.

Posts: 28 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: September 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
The MW rotors on my car are 10 years old, never warped or cracked. Still going strong.

Mine have been on 4 years now. Car came brand new with strange brakes, within the 1st season they were so warped the car wouldn't roll. I know its not what the OP asked but MW for the win

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Neighbor at the track had lambs on his and he really bragged them. The rotors float on the hats and are not clamped tight.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You should be getting way more than a year out of the rotors. What is going wrong with the old ones?

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
You should be getting way more than a year out of the rotors. What is going wrong with the old ones?

I use the aggressive strange pads and I drive the stripe dragging the brakes and other times I'll stab them hard in the lights. My pads are wearing uneven because the rotors are warping and I loose a bit of brake pedal when that happens. When I put new rotors on the pedal always comes back. Most people I race with have Strange brakes and they replace rotors each year also.

I thought if I get the 2 piece rotor and spend the extra 60 dollars each that if they last for 2 years it would be worth the extra cost.

Based upon the comments left here I may look at other brands.

Posts: 204 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGunn:
Tried the 2 piece on my dragster & had no luck, went back to the 1 piece.

What happened to the 2 piece rotors?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don’t have experience with Strange, but the Lambs on my car would heat crack and needed to be replaced every season until I increased the pressure at the caliper by using a smaller master cylinder AND switched to the ferodo pads MW recommends. They are more aggressive than the lamb pads and grab the rotor and stop the car instead of dragging and making heat.

The MW rotors have been on my wife’s car for the 3 years we’ve had it and I bet they’re quite old. We run the ferodo pads on it too and get at least 200 1/4 mile runs at 175+ mph on a set.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Strange 1 piece rotors warp, crack...I replaced them a couple times.....Stop signed and lettuce shredders
Wilwood 2 piece rotors warp, I tried those and they warped in a different way.....at the mounting bolt holes to hat area

The floating 2 piece designs are better but not a lot better....

Strange and Moser now sell stainless 2 piece rotors.....supposedly better.....I did not go that route...

I ditched my Wilwood calipers that were used on both Strange 1 piece and Wildwood bolted together 2 piece rotors

Put Mark Williams on with Ferodo pads

It took 5 1/8th mile and 2 1/4 mile runs before I felt like the car was stopping as well as it always did with various pads and rotors and the brake stink went away....

Car rolls easier than it ever did and there is ZERO brake drag.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post