DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Waxing enclosed trailer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waxing enclosed trailer
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Call Majestic. Whenever I have a surface question I call the guys that make their own products. I love Meguirs stuff but I really really love Majestics products.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BG7X77,

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is good stuff HS professor knows. We used alot of that at the dealership.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
The paint on "most" trailer panels is called curtain coating,electro-coating, ecoat. It is done on a line to coat a roll of over a thousand feet long, and it is not a high quality paint.
It is delivered to most large trailer manufacturers in the same roll and sheared to what size they need. Smaller builders buy from a metal supplier in common sizes and colors. The paint is not designed to be automotive quality, nor is it. You can't treat it like automotive paint. It is not even as thick as a single stage color, years back I checked the mil thickness and it was an average of 1.4 to 1.7 mils. It is enamel, and some are even getting to water based. A good thickness for a single coat of powder is 3 to 3.5 mils.
Any kind of mechanical polishing, buffing will kill the life out of it.
It was never designed to last like an automotive paint.
There are consequences for anything that is applied to it that is acidic,caustic.
And using anything mechanical on a standard screwed trailer wall to even apply wax will remove the coating off of the screws, wether the screw coating is zinc or another of the latest and greatest garbage they are using.

I got 17 years out of a repaint and rescrew and it is still a 6 out of 10.
I repainted with Dupont white Industrial Imron. It was some nasty stuff, but it lasted, and the screws that were standard zinc were new at that time as well.
Being it is Imron I could remove all the screws and buff it, rescrew it and it would look like a 8 out of ten.
At the end of the day, it is a trailer, It is paid for, it stores the car out of the Florida sun, it does a good job of hauling my car when I want to race.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I repainted with Dupont white Industrial Imron. It was some nasty stuff, but it lasted...

I bought a bicycle in the mid to late 80's made in Korea. It was painted with Imron, I still have the bike and it damn good paint. Too bad it kills people.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The one time i was given about 11 semi trailers to paint all the wheels and the rear doors. Champion Coatings. Strictly Industrial 2 part primer and 2 part epoxy. The worst stuff i have ever used.Worse than Imron. All in white. They had sent me 6-8 cases of this. 4 gallons per case. Could not spray. Roller/brush only.Had a bunch left. Did the garage door at the house. Unbelievable. Door still looks brand new to this day. That was 10 years ago. This was all at their facility. I was going to spray it on.
Absolutely NOT as per their shop. Had to do this outside.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As noted in an earlier post, be very careful using Dollar Tree's LA Awesome. It is a good cleaner, but in full strength it will strip paint off a trailer.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
First wash of the season at Blue Beacon this past Sunday...soap and water, brushed and rain x. NO brightener. This wash easily removes seasonal black streaks.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes 1320racer drive it in, tell them what you want, drive away in 20 min all clean and ready for wax if you want to. How did you do the 3 day weekend 1 week ago?

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1 qualifier on Friday, rain Saturday and Sunday and the event was rained out/postponed on Monday morning which was sunny and dry and after we all unloaded and warmed up our cars ready to race.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Super great on #1 qualifier and sucks about rain. Your stuff is laying it down nicely. Ohio where im at seemed iffy on weather also. Went to Mid Michigan at Stanton. Good weather and is about 3 hrs. north of me. Saturday turned on some some win lights Top and Pro but then just was in the way by 4th round and got my butt kicked. Sunday went to finals in Pro and was brides maid. Monday made it to finals in Pro and this time won. Car was on a string at 5.395 to 5.406 all 3 days. First time running the Corvette on the bottom bulb and had to shed about .05 reaction time to keep it green. I was not super man there but had some great lights and not so great. Had a lot of give me's as other lane would go red. First time in years off the bottom with a Carburator and not injection. Car was happy and luck was in my lane. Mike Nichske was also there killing it lots of rounds in top all 3 days with his Corvette roadster dial 4.80 something.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
For those that say Blue Beacon is the "streaking beacon" or that they ruin paint, notice the reflection of my truck in the front panel. Again just a soap and water brushed wash finished with RainX.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320racer Shines like you just waxed it. I can see the small chip in your tailgate just left of the handle in the reflection on the trailer. Just kidding around. Good luck this next weekend where ever you are going. Im thinking Kil Kare for me as they are 2 ten grand and a 50 grand. Fri,Sat and Sunday and doesn't look like it going to be real hot. We will see.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks you too