Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Yamaha Rino Starting issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yamaha Rino Starting issues
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Have a Rino that sometimes wont start after sitting few days.It does after I take spark plug out and dunk it in gas. Anybody know of fix ?

Posts: 67 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
660, 450, or 700?

Posts: 667 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 67 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fuel pump is getting weak more than likely. I assume it's still got the factory vacuum-operated pump on it. Lots of guys upgrade to electric for that reason. Fuel evaporates out of the carburetor when it sits a few days (thank your government for this entire problem!). The fuel pump is supposed to prime the carb fairly quickly. What happens is that the pump has a pair of check valves, and one or both of them die/stop working. Then the fuel won't stay in the lines so the little pump has to pull it from the tank back through the filter, lines, and then to the carburetor-which it can't do with the valves not working.

Either replace it with a new Yamaha pump (the number is superceded....I don't know why, but I'd like to say they've changed the material used for the diaphragms and valve) or go with an electric setup. Only bad thing about electric is if the Rhino gets rolled, it won't shut off, unless an inertia switch is added. I'm not sure what kit has an inertia switch-if any of them.

While you're doing fuel system work, I like to pull the bowl and all 3 jets for a good cleaning. The 3 jets are idle/pilot jet, main jet, and starter (choke) jet. I usually enlarge the choke jet with a .030" drill bit as they are a LOT easier to start when cold.

Posts: 667 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you MAVMAN

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Man this is crazy.

I have one at the shop, customer says exactly same issue. Let it sit 3-4-5 days, will not start without giving it a drink. Duplicated today (he dropped it off tuesday morning). No start this afternoon. Pulled the bowl off of carb, nothing but a little leftover gas but not enough for main jet to pick up. Tested fuel pump-no flow. Pulled it (pump) apart, found absolutely nothing wrong. Called Yamaha, they advised to replace it if it hasn't been already (stock '07 660 Rhino, no mods). The part number is superceded from 5UG-13910-00-00 to 5UG-13910-10-00 (I think I got those right...)--meaning they've made a change. It looks identical to the old one but I did not take it apart. Installed it and cranked about 5 seconds and it fired right off. I'm gonna let it sit over the weekend and see what it does Tuesday, right before I leave for extended vacation (have not had "real" vacation in 18 years).

Thought it was odd or ironic that you've had the same exact issue that I'm working with.

Side note-we got our first Yamaha Viking in today. I'm impressed!