DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Racepak VS Gages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racepak VS Gages
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Building a Top Dragster and trying to decide between gages or the racepak . My Top Sportsman car had a racepak and it was hard to read it on a run being ive never been in a dragster i dont know if it would be easier to read because its alot closer in the dragster. Would love some input Thanks

Posts: 10 | Location: vegas | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What are you doing looking at your dash while going down the track in 6 seconds? You don’t need a RacePak dash but you do need a data recorder so use gauges if you don’t like the dash.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
I switched to a racepak dash around 10 years ago and prefer it over gauges. You can program the lights on the dash around your sensors---I set low and high parameters for oil pressure, water temp, vaccuum and fuel pressures---if something isn't right, the lights will start flashing. To me that is easier than trying to check the gauges as I'm going down track.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They are definitely harder to read than gauges in a dragster too.

Since you’re building a TD and going to have a data logger anyway, you might consider installing the digital dash along with any super important gauges installed separately. This gives you a backup in case of problems with the digital dash or logger. In my case, as long as I have a water temp gauge I can do without everything else if I had to.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
They are definitely harder to read than gauges in a dragster too.

Since you’re building a TD and going to have a data logger anyway, you might consider installing the digital dash along with any super important gauges installed separately. This gives you a backup in case of problems with the digital dash or logger. In my case, as long as I have a water temp gauge I can do without everything else if I had to.

On my new car I really do not have room for both so I think I will go back to standard gauges. I have the RPM digital dash on my Front Engine Dragster and I like it, I can go through the screens and see trans temp, oil temp, voltage, brake pressure and many other things.

But you can not see it going down the track and several of the other brands have had a lot of problems with the dash. New car will be back to simple. I will always have a logger but not the dash. IMHO.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I believe I have a set of racepak gauges in the shop that probably only have two seasons on them. I would sell if someone is interested. Half new price.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Do you have a trans temp gauge, white face?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
RacePak customer service sucks for what it’s worth...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Shouldn't that say "paleface"? Laughing Hard

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3098 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will check for sure. But I'm almost certain I didn't have trans temp. They are white face though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:

LOL probably! Or ashamed face.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are you doing looking at your dash while going down the track in 6 seconds? You don’t need a RacePak dash but you do need a data recorder so use gauges if you don’t like the dash.

On my digital dash I have engine RPM, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp and volts. I glance down at water temp and oil pressure before I move into stage. I never ever look at the dash going down the track, I am either looking down track or at the other car, I always felt that's how races are won, correct me if I am wrong

Posts: 2425 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Seems they have a reliability issue with the back light and unlike gauges, repair is not easy.
I’d definitely use analog gauges.
What I used.
-Volts
-Mech Eng oil press with Low press light
-Trans pan temp
-water temp
All 270 sweep
No tach. Delay box (the most important appliance in your dash) front and center to avoid mistakes.
Data collector is a must on any sportsman class race car. I Measured a long list of process variables On my long car. Data is so helpful when a run is off I you hear something

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12170 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Personally I’m looking at the flashing lights from my decades old Matty device. No need to look at the other car.

That’s why I win so many races! Shake head

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
lts been a long time since i looked at anything till the shutdown area

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:

OMG that was good

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post