New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front Springs
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Is there any chance I could guess at a Spring rate for a front strut?

I put the car together on the ground yesterday for the first time and it sits an inch lower than I'd like it.

Iron block 9.8 deck, aluminum heads, heaviest roots blower setup ever made, and a 7 gallon cell in the front of an old Rells chassis.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
What does car weigh, and what spring is on the front now?

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
there is likely a number on the spring you have,knowing it you can go from there

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Do you know what spring is on it now? If not you can remove a spring, place it on a scale and compress it 1" and that will be the rate. You can use a bathroom scale or I made a plate for my valve spring tester and place it on my hydraulic press.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not sure what Spring is on it. Lamb struts. Guessing 1300-1400 front weight but will probably be adding more to make T/S weight.

9 inch long Spring,
2.375 ID.
.410 wire diameter

Seems like I would need about a 300 Lb Spring if I figure 1.25 inch preload, 1.25 inch compression at ride height and 700 lbs per wheel. Lamb only goes to 250??

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Measures out as a worn out 250. 1/4" set and maybe 240 lb/in.

I'm afraid a new 250 is t going to raise it up enough to survive some of the places we're going to run

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BJs Wild Ride,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
How much travel does a Lamb strut have total and where is the car sitting at rest on that travel? IE, Strange strut is 3" total travel, my car sits right at 1.5". Strut cars are not made to wheel stand more than a few inches, the landings can be hard especially with the small total travel. I believe you are in the ballpark with that 250 spring, i believe that is what is on my car. I started out with a heavier spring (350) and it did not work well at all. I am about 1200-1300 on the front. So maybe a 275 or 300 if you do think you need more, but i wouldn't go over that. Also can adjust the spring height and raise starting point also.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I guess Willie must have built this car to sit in the weeds. Adjusters cranked all the way up with 1/4 spacer installed I get 1/2 compression on the left and 3/4 compression on the right and the nose is right at 3 inches now. Struts have 2 1/2 in yes if travel.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
can the strut mounts be adjusted somehow,maybe re mounted

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Probably, but for now I'll just dodge the pot holes best I can. I forgot the rear tires were aired up a bunch when I was measuring so it's probably ok.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
that was another thought i had are the front tires short or can they be changed and help the issue

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fronts just rub the frame in a hard turn. The back can come down some I think. If that doesnt do it, I'll have to modify the strut mount. I thought I was good but the nose was tickling the prestage beam yesterday.