DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wheel Bearing Grease
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel Bearing Grease
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have always packed the bearings on my trailer with Pennzoil L707 red grease. I have never had any problems/failures. After searching in vain for some at the local auto supply stores, I read online that it is no longer made. What can I safely mix with it for repacking bearings? I don't want to wash everything out and start over.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It has to do with the type of soap base of the grease, lithium, lithium complex, aluminum complex, calcium, etc. Take a look at something like this:
https://www.thelubricantstore....-compatibility-chart

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2440 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Those two are both lithium complex.

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There are a couple guys still selling some old stock on EBay. Might be worth a look over there.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
I have always packed the bearings on my trailer with Pennzoil L707 red grease. I have never had any problems/failures. After searching in vain for some at the local auto supply stores, I read online that it is no longer made. What can I safely mix with it for repacking bearings? I don't want to wash everything out and start over.

Sorry, there's no alternative to cleaning it all out.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1607 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What Goob said!!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There can be no question cleaning everything is a best practice. But his MO has served him well. As long has he picks a compatible soap base, that will not cause an adverse chemical reaction, there's no reason he can't continue with the process he has followed and had success with. JMO

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Based upon what I am reading, it looks like I can mix Mobil 1 Synthetic red grease with my old reliable L707 red. Both are lithium complex base.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post